Metroblog

But I digress ...

09 January 2007

Wow--Flashback


Would you, O Avid Fan, believe I've been at this for three whole years?

Balance-wise I confess to failure. It is impossible to be neutral in the face of what is happening in the world. However, I hope this blog is occasionally amusing.

[I'm typing a little here. Just looking innocuous, typing away at a text document. You may wonder why.]

It's because they've rearranged the office and my boss is now sitting slightly behind me. I wouldn't have given a damn last week. However, just prior to the move a co-worker came to me and said:
"Y'know, I don't really want to say anything about this, but you shouldn't play poker online in the office."
"Oh," I said in all innocence "I'm not playing for money!"

There are some things I never quite understood about working in offices (a thing still strange and new to me). I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to get caught blogging a lot, but it never occurred to me that opening one's Yahoo! mail was disapproved of, and that online games on one's coffee break or between projects could be a firing offence.

Learn something new every day. However, I'm glad I didn't show off the royal flush I got last week. I can't even imagine what my boss would say about blogging up to several times a day.

However, I also expect my posting frequency to drop a bit soon. I am now rehearsing for a small part in a play, and I'm involved in a freeroll poker tournament. What with that, plus the work thing, I may not be able to keep the blog in the style to which the legions of Avid Fan or Fans I have gathered lo these last three years have become accustomed.

I also had something of an epiphany: No-one's going to offer me a book deal based on this blog. I'm not narrow enough. I'm not as in touch with celebutard culture as Perez Hilton, not as intimate as the various sex-themed blogs (and believe me when I say you're grateful for that), and not as narrowly focussed as so many others out there.

So why am I writing for free? I spend hours weekly putting up stuff. I enjoy it, and I get a certain satisfaction from knowing that my odd Avid Fan (very odd indeed) enjoys reading my little thoughts on big issues. But my boss pays me $35K or so per year to write. And I'm not a bad writer. And I think I need to focus on that a bit more.

Still, stick around--I'm not going away completely. I just plan to try and post a little less, and a little more succinctly.

Besides, we both know I can't make a resolution stick.

2 Comments:

At 1:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you've gone community theatre, you never go back. Metro, we hardly knew ye.

 
At 8:27 am, Blogger Metro said...

No, no--these guys are actually semi-professionals. They sorta get half-paid sometimes.

It's a purpose-built space, and to capture the audience, it's attached to a local kitschy coffee company. Guaranteed in with the patchouli market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home