Metroblog

But I digress ...

10 November 2006

Just to Show You Any Idiot Can Do It


It's not exactly extreme pumpkin carving, but as promised in my Halloween entry, here's a shot of my jack o'lantern.


It took roughly two hours to carve. The pumpkin had a decently thick rind, but not a huge one; so instead of ambitiously trying to get it right in every detail I decided to go for something that would look right once lit up. I also learned that it wasn't necessary to widen and flatten the features to take into account the broadness of a pumpkin vice the narrower image I was using.

I think it's pretty decent for a first effort. It looks a bit like some sort of monk in the light (I was actually worried for a bit that someone might think it was some kind of Chinese caricature), but once the candle was in it looked like this:



Which, while not perfect, actually bears some resemblance to V for Vendetta, as I intended. That link takes you to Legofish's picture, which I used as a guide.

7 Comments:

At 11:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cool. I saw the V thing immediately.

 
At 12:44 pm, Blogger Metro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Ah, but like so many people, he looks happier when he's on fire.

And anyway, aren't you the one who said the Rorschach blots looked like a pile of dead puppies?

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Norlinda said...

Kinda reminds me of No Face from the movie "Spirited Away". What does that say about me?

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Hmmm--I sense deep struggle or sadness in your life. Wait--I sense that you have recently been dissatisfied in a consumer transaction. You've bought a Caddilac El Dorado ... no--wait--it's a Hyundai (though you understand how I might confuse the two). And the dealer's trying to screw you over, isn't he?

No wonder you see faceless monsters everywhere: corporate relations at work.

 
At 8:24 am, Blogger Philipa said...

I think it resembles Guido.

 
At 9:33 am, Blogger Metro said...

Well, since Guido's avatar is modeled on Guido Fawkes, as is the mask of V for Vendetta, I think I'll take that as a compliment to my artistry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home