Metroblog

A one-time school project gone terribly, terribly wrong.

10 November 2006

Just to Show You Any Idiot Can Do It


It's not exactly extreme pumpkin carving, but as promised in my Halloween entry, here's a shot of my jack o'lantern.


It took roughly two hours to carve. The pumpkin had a decently thick rind, but not a huge one; so instead of ambitiously trying to get it right in every detail I decided to go for something that would look right once lit up. I also learned that it wasn't necessary to widen and flatten the features to take into account the broadness of a pumpkin vice the narrower image I was using.

I think it's pretty decent for a first effort. It looks a bit like some sort of monk in the light (I was actually worried for a bit that someone might think it was some kind of Chinese caricature), but once the candle was in it looked like this:



Which, while not perfect, actually bears some resemblance to V for Vendetta, as I intended. That link takes you to Legofish's picture, which I used as a guide.

7 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous raincoaster said...

That's very cool. I saw the V thing immediately.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Metro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Metro said...

Ah, but like so many people, he looks happier when he's on fire.

And anyway, aren't you the one who said the Rorschach blots looked like a pile of dead puppies?

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Norlinda said...

Kinda reminds me of No Face from the movie "Spirited Away". What does that say about me?

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Metro said...

Hmmm--I sense deep struggle or sadness in your life. Wait--I sense that you have recently been dissatisfied in a consumer transaction. You've bought a Caddilac El Dorado ... no--wait--it's a Hyundai (though you understand how I might confuse the two). And the dealer's trying to screw you over, isn't he?

No wonder you see faceless monsters everywhere: corporate relations at work.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Philipa said...

I think it resembles Guido.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Metro said...

Well, since Guido's avatar is modeled on Guido Fawkes, as is the mask of V for Vendetta, I think I'll take that as a compliment to my artistry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home