Metroblog

But I digress ...

01 November 2006

Hallowe'en '06



I'm fond of Hallowe'en. Growing up it was usually the big celebration that happened just before the first snow hit.

Of course that meant that costumes in my childhood tended to be confined to above-the-neck or fit-between/under/over-a-snowsuit-and-toque outfits. But I've never forgotten how much fun it was.

Last night I got completely into my role as candy-disher-outer. I rummaged through the Tickle Trunk Mme and I keep filled with castoff clothes and plastic swords, and lo: out came a pirate costume complete with rakish eye-patch.

So I put on the striped shirt, leather vest, eye-patch, a sash with a sword stuck in it, and wriggled my feet into my old Boulet boots. For a dashing finishing touch I put on a skull-and-crossbones bandana--just something I happened to have lying around, like you do.

And I waited. And waited. For three hours.

At nine last night I threw out the pumpkin I'd spent two hours carving into the mask of V (for Vendetta). Which I'd done a great job of, by the way--pic later. I put the costume back into the Tickle Trunk.

And I wondered Where the hell are the little bastards?

Then I realized. Close by, there is a school. Doubtless it emits some sort of standing wave radiation that children can detect, and keeps them away.

Oh well, more chockies for me.

5 Comments:

At 10:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no pictures?

Actually, I've never seen children in your neighborhood, come to think of it. Retirees and singles, yes, children, no.

raincoaster

 
At 10:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Blogger is fucked tonight.

 
At 3:15 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Clearly.

And the main reason you've never seen kids in our neighbourhood is that you were never there when school was in.

Actually, since I leave before they start and arrive home well before they finish, I haven't seen any lately either.

Perhaps it's all a sham? That would explain the moss on the sports track, the general lack of litter ...

But what, then, is taking place in a huge empty government-owned building? The mind shudders.

 
At 5:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had about 30 kids to our door, which means we have leftover candy. Maybe our street isn't affluent enough. Friends of ours in Kelowna who live in quite an upscale neighbourhood report seeing children *bused* to their street, dropped off to make the rounds, then shuttled back to the projects. Sheesh. Halloween always bankrupts them.

 
At 9:33 am, Blogger Metro said...

Ah, you affluent white folks are always against busing.

Truth is, in the "projects" who the hell's going to open a door to a masked stranger at night?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home