Metroblog

But I digress ...

08 April 2009

Is That Last One a Little Intense?

Probably. My excuse is that I'm avoiding having to think about the GM Venture van sitting in my driveway awaiting a compression test.

If anyone asks why GM is going the-₤µ©λ broke, you can describe the procedures for removing the alternator:

Disconnect battery cables.
Disconnect front engine mounts and rotate engine forward as far as possible.
Undo alternator bolts.
Raise vehicle on ramps, hoist or stands.
Disconnect the g'damn subframe and drop three inches.

To remove a ₤µ©λing alternator? Seriously?

Oh, and why, asketh the Avid Fans (all five of them) dost thou pullest out ye olde alternator when lo, ye wishest to test the compression?

Because it's in the way of the spark plugs. For which the procedure is also supposed to include rotating the engine forward on its mounts.

If GM survives the next couple of months, I want their engineers sent to friggin' Siberia, given a '98 Venture, and told they can return when and if they can disassemble the vehicle into major components using nothing more than a metric socket set, hydraulic jack, and a pair of axle stands.

(Don't even get me started on why the hell a vehicle built, probably in Canada, in 1997 has non-metric bolts holding the stupid alternator on).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trade ya, I'm pulling a tranny out of a 5-ton and I have the proper tools for the job. Almost 8 hours just to remove the bellhousing bolts! I agree that engineers should be made to take apart and rebuild anything they design with normal shop tools before it is built and sold to the public.

IH

WV: plotses

 
At 3:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't everything be repairable? I broke the screen on a video camera. Can it be replaced? No. Well, actually it can, for the same price as a new camera. It's ridiculous. Honest, I would pay more for something that would hold together more than 5 minutes.

 
At 11:29 am, Blogger Metro said...

Oh, I'm working on a post about the economy, and why we can't continue to live in a consumer society which continues to conspire against the consumer.

Meanwhile I broke off a spark plug in the head of this van. I am not impressed.

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Joshua said...

This is probably symptomatic of why they are going broke but not the cause of it. I doubt a substantial fraction of owners take difficulty of repair into account when they are buying cars. I suspect that the vast majority of owners can't do anything more complicated than check the oil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home