Metroblog

But I digress ...

01 January 2009

Starting Another New Year

Not, however, just another new year, you'll notice. After all, every new year comes freighted with potential for greatness or madness, and I intend to get a little of both.

Raincoaster poisoned me last night, by the way. The punch she made obviously contained a powerful intoxicant, capable of rendering the unfortunate victim (me) incoherent and unconscious, though capable of playing a pretty mean guitar.

I think the poison was particularly strong in the last six glasses. It's late afternoon and the last of the shaking chills is rattling through my exhausted frame. It's a good thing I didn't get my act together sufficiently to book the 10 a.m. New Year's Day snowshoeing tour that Raincoaster was pumping for last week. Obviously part of the assasination attempt.

However, I got my revenge--there was no way she slept through me emptying my stomach of all of its contents this morning. As an unexpected bonus, my personal protein evacuation convinced Mme Metro that perhaps I hadn't been feigning being charmingly, silly-ly drunk last night.

Curbside quiche done with, I returned to bed and slept off the shudders, nausea, and headache. If one is supposed to start the new year as one intends to continue, I'd like to be shot now, please.

Mme has a thoughtful post up at her blog. She obviously isn't upset with me for the events of last night and this morning, as she says she intends to spend more time with me, some of it in tents and cars.

I'm thinking over what I want from the new year. I'll let you know, because I really need to lie down right now.

Happy 2009 to all Avid Fans (What are there, four of you nowadays?).

10 Comments:

At 3:27 pm, Blogger The Nag said...

I think Raincoaster may somehow have gained access to our little soiree last night because I was surely poisoned. I share your pain, dude.

 
At 1:25 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Strangely enough I was ill when I came home after Xmas but even Raincoasters power can't extend over the pond, can it? Nah, no-ones tentacles are that long. Glad y'all had a good time. Happy New Year.

 
At 5:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the only person I know who didn't have a hangover on New Year's Day, but only because I've been in training all year.

Iocaine. Powerful stuff!

 
At 8:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least four or five fans, these days.

Congrats on a successful New Year's Eve party. Wish I'd been there; looking forward to the Facebook pics. I was in bed by eleven.

 
At 1:19 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@The Nag
Nah--You must have some sort of Raincoaster analogue out there. They seem fond of grape-growing areas, though they tend to live in cities.

@Philipa
Sorry if my comments at Fortean Times seemed curmudgeonly. I was in a curmudgeonly mood when I wrote 'em.

As to your own poisoning--have you checked Loch Ness? Perhaps the monster is on vacation in the London area?

@Raincoaster
Yes, and isn't it fortunate for all concerned that you're now financially solvent and able to pay for some of the damage?

@PJ
Lucky you! With whom, may one inquire?
Wish you'd been here too.

 
At 4:03 am, Blogger Philipa said...

No apology needed, Metro. Our monsters aren't as picky about punctuation as the Raincoaster so it could have been a home-grown beastie. Sadly I think it was an old bottle of cheap vino that looked forgotton. It should have been.

 
At 6:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

four and a quarter fans - - -

I'm feeling quite small out here in a gianormous desert - where I have to contemplate the gradual morphing of our glorious leader into the man whom he replaced.

And you think you have problems - at least you have an honest dictator/despot.

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@Philipa:
"Sadly I think it was an old bottle of cheap vino that looked forgotton. It should have been."

My first lol moment of the day!

@archie:
Perhaps we could work out an exchange program? We'll transport Harper on the Lady Juliana to Port Jackson immediately. No rush to send us Rudd.

 
At 5:50 am, Blogger JD Hobbes said...

Happy New Year to you sir! I'm glad you were able to ring in 2009 with drunken guitar solos!

I started a new StoryBlog where I'll be posting one new story to listen to every month, so I hope you'll have a listen (if for nothing else than to hear how manly deep my voice has gotten since Grade 6).

http://shorteningtheroad.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger Metro said...

@Hobbes:
Mein Gott! You're still out there! How great to hear from you after all this time!

I will surely have a listen. Happy New Year to you as well. Great pic, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home