Metroblog

But I digress ...

20 January 2009

A New President, a New Era?

I think the award for "Remark Least Appropriate in Scope" goes to the anonymous commentator I heard this morning who said: "Americans have been waiting for this moment for two months."

No sir. The world has been awaiting this moment for eight years.

I have referred to the Bush years as the Kidney Stone Presidency. That stone plinks off the rim of history today and will hopefully be swiftly flushed.

If I were granted one wish it is that Obama will truly be everything Dubya wasn't: Statesmanlike, generous of spirit, and consensus-seeking for starters.

(If I were granted two wishes I would wish that every member of the Bush junta would be knocked unconscious leaving the White House, rolled up in carpets, and extraordinarily rendered to Gitmo, where they could provide historical object lessons to high school classes. But the sewer of history is, I suppose, as close to justice as we're likely to see.)

Goodbye Dubya. The world mourns you.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:48 pm, Blogger Silverstar said...

I think you forgot one word at the end of the last sentence. That word is NOT!

 
At 9:40 am, Blogger Metro said...

No, I wrote correctly. It is his presence that is mourned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home