Metroblog

But I digress ...

27 January 2009

Is That the Wind of Change I Hear?

In an earlier post I expressed a wish that Mr. Obama should be more statesmanlike that George W. Bush.

Already he's outstripping Dubya. Who can imagine the late unlamented Decider saying stuff like this?:
In a transcript published on Al Arabiya’s English language Web site, Mr. Obama said he believed “the most important thing is for the United States to get engaged right away” and that he had told his envoy to “start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating.”

“Ultimately, we cannot tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians what’s best for them. They’re going to have to make some decisions,” Mr. Obama said. “But I do believe that the moment is ripe for both sides to realize that the path that they are on is not going to result in prosperity and security for their people. And that, instead, it’s time to return to the negotiating table.
The article's in the New York Times.

Now I know that's just an interview, and like everything else, it awaits to see a genuine effort on the Israel/Palestine front.

But those words wouldn't fit in Bush II's mouth, nor those ideas in what passed for his mind.

God, what a breath of fresh air.

...

Not much going on in the ol' Metrolife right now. I've been recovering from a lousy cold (spent much of yesterday in bed) and trying to commit to memory the lines for the next play. Also making progress on the house, one scruffy inch at a time.

What's that? Where have I submitted my writing? What a terrific question! I'm glad you asked that question.

Next question, please ...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I am so impressed with Obama so far and it's only been a week!

 
At 8:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also impressed, but then again Shrub set the bar so low a talking chipmunk would impress me. I'm waiting for actions to speak louder than words.

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@WC
If only he'd now kick Harper somewhere personal.

@silverstar
Oh, I'm sure he can store nuts in his cheeks with the best of them :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home