Metroblog

But I digress ...

23 January 2009

Further Thoughts on Unemployment

It is truly amazing how much work I'll do to avoid doing work.

Theoretically I'm supposed to be filing stories off to various magazines--because there's a dreadful dearth of writing work in this town. In fact, aside from the job I moved here to get there doesn't seem to be any.

Mme gave me permission not to worry about anything in particular for the first week. But I do feel some obligation to both submit work and take care of the house. So the house is getting cleaned within inches of its life. Because I seem willing to go to any lengths to avoid sitting down and polishing my work and then submitting it.

I have been dogged all my life by a fear of completion. No kidding. It's not pathalogical, but it does rather explain why after some fifteen years my Nash Metropolitan is still in a state of disassembly. Fortunately, the house is so far from perfection that I won't have to face my fears for quite a while.

Which is why I'm writing this post. I hereby declare before my Avid Fans (all five or so of them) that today I will make an effort to send a story to a publication, any story, any publication.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go polish my sink. And no, that's not a metaphor for anything. It's a Flylady baby step.

It could be worse. I could be sitting on my ass in track pants watching soaps and eating "bon-bons". Sitting in one's track pants playing Pokerstars clearly is a different matter ...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 10:29 am, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Good luck with all that!

 
At 11:13 am, Blogger Philipa said...

Blimey! I'm just catching up with your unemployemnt status. Sorry to hear that :-(

But hey you're a kept man! Sex slave to the woman of your dreams. Nice work if you can get it :-)

Seriously though I was kinda keeping your blog as an everything-is-ok-cheer-me-up kinda thing. I am really sorry to hear this news and hope it's a catalyst for better things.

Best wishes for a regular column in Vanity Fair very very soon XX

 
At 11:15 am, Blogger Philipa said...

Ok I'm no good with this kinda thing and should've said

Good luck with all that!

 
At 1:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As they used to say in the Nike ad, just do it. The first is the hardest, and all that blather. And good luck.

 
At 1:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey MM

Fuck work for a while. Collect pogey, listen to jazz, and write a book.

If that fails, pen a few Penthouse letters for Mr. Guccione. Word has it he pays well, particularly for submissions that have a preponderance of alliteration.

Good luck, MM, I know you're "up" for it.

EK

 
At 3:00 pm, Blogger Slave to the dogs said...

Funny how industrious procrastinatiton can make us, eh?

 
At 9:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Anonymous. "Collect pogey, listen to jazz, and write a book."

As someone who was self-employed for a long time, I can tell you that most people have a fear of completion. And find that they suck at self-discipline.

You'll be fine, Metro.

 
At 10:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass the bonbons and let's play a couple of rounds of poker

 
At 8:58 am, Blogger Metro said...

Oh noes!

nursemyra--are you out of work too?

Or ... wait ... could this be an invitation to the notorious Nurse Myra Friday lingerie poker game?

Note to self: Buy bonbons, whiskey.

 
At 12:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Friday lingerie poker game? that's a new one to me....

(but it sounds like a good idea)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home