Metroblog

But I digress ...

17 December 2008

Our Prime Minister, The Windsock of Canadian Politics

Stephen Harper: Steadfast, consistent, forthright ...

Those are the words I'd like you to look up in the dictionary, sir.

From the Globe and Mail:
The PM's evolving views

Oct. 7: "I think there are probably some great buying opportunities emerging in the stock market as a consequence of all this panic."

Asked whether he would unequivocally rule out a deficit under his government: "Yes. ... Yesterday I think I was asked one question about whether we would run a deficit and I said, 'No.' That's my answer."

Oct. 11: "The fact of the matter is independent analysts, including the International Monetary Fund, say that Canada is not going to go into recession with the current world environment and its current set of domestic policies. We're the one country that's going to continue to show some growth."

Nov. 23: "The most recent private-sector forecasts suggest the strong possibility of a technical recession the end of this year, the beginning of next.

"I am surprised at this. I am also further surprised, more importantly, by deflationary pressure that we're seeing around the world. This is a worrying development, one of the reasons why it may well be necessary to take unprecedented fiscal stimulus."

Dec. 15: "The truth is, I've never seen such uncertainty in terms of looking forward to the future. .... I'm very worried about the Canadian economy."

Asked whether the situation could turn out to be a depression: "It could be, but I think we've learned enough about depression; we've learned enough from the 1930s to avoid some of the mistakes that caused a recession in 1929 to become a depression in the 1930s."

"Those are my principles, sir. And if you don't like them, I have others."
~Groucho Marx

Just in case a Tory supporter has made it this far without having his or her head tear itself in twain trying to reconcile the PM's messages, or is still clinging to the idea that Dear Leader is capable of talking from just the one side of his mouth:



You know, the Liberal party certainly has lied to Canadians during its years in power. But at least with them it was an abberation, something they were embarassed to be caught out at.

With the Harper Conservatives it's nothing more or less than policy.

Bring on the next election. Unles Stephen Harper steps down and provides us with an actual leader. If he really wants to do Canada a favour, I'd suggest he appoint Stockwell Day as his replacement.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home