Metroblog

But I digress ...

05 November 2008

A New Dawn in the USA

Obama wins. Great words to wake up to.

And already the paranoia is crashing down. Canadian media outlets are publishing stuff on the theme of "Canadians may be disappointed in Obama".

True. But if we keep in mind the absurdity, incompetence, cronyism, and outright bald-faced criminal behaviour of the odious Shrub, I'm sure we'll have the patience to let Mr. Obama weave his own rope.

He has a job ahead of him: Restore the US Constitution, repair US relations with countries abroad,try to minimize the damage the economic collapse visits on the country and the world ...

From where I sit, it's like sending a man to the ruins of Pompeii, and telling him he has four years to restore it to its former glory. We wish him luck.

But last night, the United States chose hope over fear, diplomacy over threats, and (some) respect for law over contempt for it.

Ye gods, what a breath of fresh air!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:17 am, Blogger Philipa said...

Yup, I was backing Obama.

I filled up at his speech, he's very good.

 
At 8:33 am, Blogger Metro said...

@philipa:
I was dropping the car off for servicing today, and the man before me in line was grumbling. He was the type: about 280 lbs, Mackinaw jacket, big steel coffee mug. Salt-of-the-earth type.

"I don't trust him [...] he's just another politician. I mean, who cares what Kenya thinks of him?"

I had to interrupt:
"Well since politics is the way the world gets stuff done without bloodshed, I'm thinking that they badly need a politician--don't you?"

"Nah, none of 'em's any good."

People snatching gloom from the jaws of hope ...

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Makes you wonder how we ever progressed from hitting with clubs and living in caves doesn't it?

 
At 1:07 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Ah, well that's 'cos y'don't get the cloobs today like they made in t'old days. It's nobbut foreign crap cloobs naow.

An' t'caves! 'Call that a cave?' says I, "T'in't but a 'ole in t'wall!'

 
At 3:51 pm, Blogger Silverstar said...

Oh, since Obama is human, as far as I know, he will undoubtedly disappoint. But at least he won't terrify me the way Shrub and McCain did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home