Metroblog

But I digress ...

18 November 2008

Musical Maundering #18.5

I've been surfing many sites where debate on Prop 8, the act that deprived a minority group of a right they had officially been granted, is still raging. Many of the arguments are worse than grotesque. In particular, there's the one saying "Marriage has always been between one man and one woman. Why should we have to change it?"

Aside from the ignorance of history that that statement displays (paging Mr. Joseph Smith), the appropriate response is: "That's exactly why."

Whenever any type of civil rights debate crops up, I remember this tune:

Our Town
Billy cut his hair last night
The cops said he didn't look right
For our town

We sell poultry, eggs and meat,
But your kind don't shop on this street
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's always been that way
It's never gonna change, I'd say

We'll send money halfway
around the world,
But don't you go
callin' on the girls
In our town

The job is taken, apartment's gone
Must've forgot to take the sign off the lawn
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's always been that way
It's never gonna change, I'd say

There ain't nothin' wrong with a pretty face
I hope all the girls know their place
In our town

Well, I don't want you to misunderstand, but
You can't have a woman takin' work from a man
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's always been that way
It's never gonna change, I'd say

Oh don't judge a book by the cover
never meant one thing or another
In our town

All the houses look the same
You see, tradition is the name of the game
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's always been that way
It's never gonna change, I'd say

`David Wilcox
(The Canadian one)

I don't have a lot of energy right now. I'm really hating work. If I wanted to do data entry I wouldn't be a writer. This grates upon what I like to think of as my soul.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:47 am, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Sorry to hear you're hating your job so much. I know very well how much that sucks.

 
At 9:55 am, Blogger Pugs said...

Great post! I have actually been reading some of the comments on these sites as well as they are much more entertaining than the actual articles sometimes. I've also noticed that there is an extreme shortage of intelligence and common sense in our country.

People can say the most ignorant things and yet it really doesn't shock me in the least. The thing I find to be the most scary is that you never know that the author of such bile might very well be the person you sit next to at work, your neighbor, your doctor or even your own family...

 
At 8:34 am, Blogger Metro said...

@WC:
Oooh yeah, there's a whole 'nother post somewhere waiting to burst forth about the intransigence of out IT manager ... or Mangler.

@pugs:
Thanks, but it was mostly written by David Wilcox :-)

I'm having a lot of thoughts about expression on the 'net, and the odd way we seem to be forced to simplistic extremes when trying to express what are actually quite complex points of view.

Again, that's a whole 'nother post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home