Metroblog

But I digress ...

28 November 2008

Black Friday--For at Least One Family

You know, I think Thanksgiving needs to be repurposed.

Look at it this way--it's already got the turkey dinner, unwanted relatives, guilt feelings ... Hell, it's perfect for a religious holiday.

And I'd like to dedicate that religious holiday to the man who came to earth, and in his early thirties was killed for the sins of humankind. Particularly one subset of humankind.

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers. We're talking to you.

If you can get your snouts out of the nosebag for a minute, I'd like you to dedicate a moment to remember this guy.

Two hundred people broke down the doors of a Wal-Mart in New York and trampled him to death. In response to the death, management at Wal-Mart released this tepid statement:
"The safety and security of Wal-Mart customers and associates is our top priority."
The bit they didn't print anywhere was:
It's a shame that the worker got in the way of shoppers flocking to the excellent bargains at Wal-Mart. He died defending an American ideal: The right, in the middle of the worst economic crisis in a hundred years, of people to buy that desperately-needed 42-inch plasma screen TV for just $499.99. Yes, it seems like madness, but Wal-Mart is willing to make sacrifices to bring the savings to you, the customer. This man gave his life for a great deal, and we think he'd have wanted to go this way, enabling our consumers to save so much money on the new Mattel Hannah Montana vibrator that they could buy a new Xbox 3. Reports from the floor, according to the store manager, say that his last words were: 'Don't forget to check out our big toy sale on today!!!"


Too heavy? So sorry.

Consumerism is a disease, Wal-Mart is merely is merely one of its most grotesque, most virulent, most toxic, and most visible symptoms.

I believe people should be able to pretty much buy what they want and need. But I believe that government and industry have become less than circumspect about helping people learn to tell the difference between the two.

But hey, people die in the service of the economy all the time. Hell, my job depends on it.

And I'd be so goddam happy if, just once, I didn't have anything to write about.

In other news, the National Football League has announced that in order to compete with Wal-Mart, they've decided to jazz up the game: Teams will be wearing actual armour and will battle for control of the ball with edged weapons.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 6:56 pm, Blogger Silverstar said...

Sick, sick, sick. It makes me sick that people would be that desperate for a "bargain" on crap. Crap that is planned to be obsolete shortly, and isn't even repairable. And isn't made by our friends and neighbors in safe, environmentally friendly factories, at wages that will support a family, but half-way across the world with what might as well be slave labor, in an increasingly polluted environment.

And I'm sorry I had to dig into my laundry change to buy distilled water to run the humidifier on my CPAP machine that keeps me alive today. I would have liked to say I had bought nothing at all.

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I was so sad and so angry when I heard this on the news this morning. One blog I read called it a murder, and really, it was. Who will be held accountable in the end?

 
At 3:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is terrible

 
At 8:25 am, Blogger Lori said...

What I want to know is what happened after all those people dispersed into the store? Co-workers realized their friend was 'down'...did the police close the doors? Interview witnesses? Take shoes and samples to determine who stepped on him 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Or where the shoppers just allowed to continue their feeding frenzy?

Personally, I celebrated Buy Nothing Day.

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Metro said...

Wow--I'd forgotten that formeldahyde-soaked cherry atop this particular $#17 sundae: It was Buy-Nothing Day, too.

If this gets any more irony, it's likely to rust.

 
At 8:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Metro: That was my first thought: ironic that it happened on Buy Nothing Day.

@ Lori: after falling down the ferry terminal stairs last month and having dozens of travellers step over me, I'm certain that the Wal-Mart stampeders carried on to the electronics department, pushing, shoving and cursing.

 
At 2:00 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@PJ:

Ow! How'd that happen, then?

 
At 11:12 am, Blogger Pugs said...

I just posted about this same incident. What was ridiculous is that the deals they had all sucked.

It's bad enough to have to WORK at a Wal-Mart but having to die at one is even worse...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home