Metroblog

But I digress ...

07 October 2008

Holy Crap! Election Edition

You know you're uninspiring when your carefully-controlled crowd applauds only on cue.

And you know your plan isn't working when your pet newspaper says:
While Mr. Harper tried to project some heart at a nation's financial suffering, at least as much as any automaton can deliver while reading off a teleprompter, his anemic response to the continuing economic slide clearly fell far short of a poll-reversing political rescue.
Inspiring he isn't.

More from, of all news organs, the National Post:
His platform launch was disorganized by usually meticulous Conservative standards and there were subtle traces of panic in the air.

To watch the government surrender on a bill to curb funding to film and video entertainment that strays from acceptable standards was a laughably desperate attempt to pacify Quebec.

Mr. Harper's attacks on Mr. Dion for ringing the alarm about an oncoming recession sound hollow when he boasts of predicting tough times ahead 10 months ago.
Canada's most conservative news journal save the nouveau Maclean's doesn't like his "platform" (which is apparently missing a few planks) any better than anyone else!

Meanwhile, the forces of good are trying to get their $#17 together. Witness voteforenvironment.ca, a website that's attempting to use the first-past-the-post voting system in this country for good. Wandering Coyote had a link to it, but Mme Metro pointed it out to me earlier.

(Disclosure: I was against FPTP before I was for it, and vice versa. I can't seem to make up my mind on this one. Possibly because I tend to favour not fixing it if it ain't broke, and I'm not fully convinced fixing FPTP is necessary)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:44 pm, Blogger The Nag said...

Voteforenvironment has my candidate leading in the Welland riding. Let's hope our lead continues.

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I think we should at least give proportional representation a try. I'm not a fan of our current parliamentary system at all.

 
At 4:46 am, Blogger mister anchovy said...

It just might be possible that Mr. Harper will lose this election, wiping that smug expression right off his face.

 
At 9:08 am, Blogger Metro said...

@the nag:
VFE lists our riding as "a Conservative stronghold" and says "You pick."

Whee! for the first time in my life I can vote Green with a clear conscience!

@wc:
It's an interesting idea, although there is, admittedly a certain clarity to FPTP that appeals to me.

@mister anchovy:
I'd like to see him with a reduced minority at best, but I'd settle for just another minority.

I feel it's a mark of his detachment and general contempt for the democratic process that he's waited this long to unveil his platform.

I mean, what does it say when the Liberals are led by a leader most people don't especially like, but Harper can't seem to lock in a majority?

Simple--he just does not have the support of a majority of Canadians.

I hold onto the hope that a plurality of young people, particularly, will turn out to vote in this one. Because the Conservatives, by my observation of last week's all-candidates meeting, have nothing to offer to anyone save pensioners who are worried about youth gangs and Al-Qaeda. Oh, and oil barons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home