Metroblog

But I digress ...

25 September 2008

Avoidance of Blame #3

I ducked some responsibility today. Ironically it's for something good.

I went to the publicly-available website for my company and logged in using the internal password.

At the top of the page that resulted was this string of text (I paraphrase):

Hey diddle-diddle
The cat and the fiddle
This is some text to see what happened here.
Here's an embedded link
Here's a plain link:
www.toostupidtobepresident.com
Jenny and Lisa are lovers
Below that was the usual content, and above it was a graphic (trademarked graphic!) belonging to the Enormous News Corporation (ENC)--which has no place on our site.

There was more. The address of that page was (I paraphrase again) "www.jennyloveslisa.companyX.com" instead of the usual "companyX.default.asp" or whatever.

Jenny and Lisa are the product managers. This is becoming our flagship product. Naturally I raised the issue with Jenny. Jenny is an older woman, computer-savvy, but not what one could call a power user. She also occupies an odd niche position, her history with the company is such that many people still see her as the department manager she used to be before her "lateral promotion" into electronica. Technically she's higher up the totem pole than I am, though theoretically off to the side.

She conducted an investigation, and concluded that everything was fine. However, when I logged in again later, the same glitch was visible ...

What to do, what to do?

So I called a friend in the IT department and explained the problem.

"However," I explained, "I don't want it to seem as though I'm doing an end run around Jenny--she's just out of the office right now," (which was true--she'd gone for a meeting with the head of IT), "So I was just wondering if you could take a quick look at this and see if you see what I see, you see?"

"Sure."

"And I'd prefer it if you didn't, uh, well ... this is Jenny's baby and ..."

"No problem--I visited the page and spotted the problem, 'sall I need to say."

I love it when people really understand what I'm trying to tell 'em without saying. The faults can get corrected, it doesn't look like I had to duck 'round the communications chain around here.

Now if I only stopped blogging and got some work done I could be a star!


***

Interlude

I was sitting with the narcissistic gen-y yutz from marketing, discussing politics, when he said:
"In my opinion, only those who don't vote get to bitch, because it's not their fault who got elected."


I have taken no further action, but only for lack of a place to hide the body.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:18 pm, Blogger mister anchovy said...

that'll learn ya not to sit with the narcissistic gen-y yutz...

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger Lori said...

Are you saying they cleared up the "jennylovesbilly.companyx.com" website address issue? You've got to find a more professional company to work for...

 
At 12:12 am, Blogger Silverstar said...

Gen Y yutz obviously failed his logic course. I'd help you,but I live in an apartment, and don't have any place to bury the body either.

 
At 10:16 am, Blogger Metro said...

@Mr. A.
I shouldn't have conflated his gen-y-ness with his yutzness, but his personality makes it easy. He's seriously self-absorbed. Nothing important ever happened before he was born.

I seriously believe that the disengagement and wrong-headedness of people like him are the reason Harper's leading--in the polls if nowhere else.

@Lori:
No idea, but my conscience is clean.

@silverstar:
Oh, I don't know ... some have apparently had some success in concealing large numbers of bodies in relatively small spaces. But the basement is full right now ...

 
At 6:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

""In my opinion, only those who don't vote get to bitch, because it's not their fault who got elected."

The old "entitlement through avoidance of investment" syllogism. Charming.
I would be more critical...but that* sums up the bulk of my dating history a little too aptly.

*The syllogism part, more so than the charming.

 
At 12:03 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@aj valliant:
Maybe you should avoid dating people who understand the meaning of "syllogism".

 
At 1:24 pm, Blogger Pugs said...

My only question is "Are Jenny and Lisa" hot? If so, then i say fuck it. If the are ugly, I want an investigation immediately! It would have been more interesting if it had been Jonny and Lyle instead, but that's just me...

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger Philipa said...

deftly done, Metro.

Shame you didn't discover Gen Y as the perp of the prob then you could have offered hari-kari. I don't suppose falling on your own keyboard has the same effect though.

 
At 1:46 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@Pugs ...

Um ... Well, "Lisa" is pretty hot, big, blonde, bouncy, kinda Amazonian-like. Over six foot in the boots she usually wears.

However, it balances out: "Jenny" just turned 65, and she's an old cowgirl. Very sweet though.

However, it has occurred to me that the new address might be good for a few extra hits to our site.

@philipa:
It turns out that in the rush to put the product out there they've kept that domain for internal use. Wonder how long they'll hang onto it?

It's one of the more interesting side effects of the electronic revolution: When I access the company's survey engine, I type in a username and password that include the name of an employee who worked in IT but has moved on to another company two years since.

 
At 11:29 am, Blogger Philipa said...

Hmn that reminds me that I logged onto the mainframe of a company two years after leaving, they hadn't changed the passwords. I didn't play just logged off and tutted. This kinda thing makes me wary of government promises to safeguard data. Like ours has a good record for knowing where it is anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home