Metroblog

But I digress ...

26 August 2008

Sympathy for the Iron Lady

I am no fan of Baroness Thatcher. But we're all human, and it turns out she is too. Iron Maggie is slowly rusting.

This is the bit that most arouses my sympathy, the last few lines of the story:
Carol Thatcher wrote that one of the most difficult episodes in recent years had been the death of her father Denis Thatcher in 2003, which her mother often forgot had happened.

"Losing Dad ... was truly awful for Mum, not least because her dementia meant she kept forgetting he was dead," she wrote.

"I had to keep giving her the bad news over and over again."
It is a state we all are likely to come to, if the FSM grants us a life sufficiently long.

My uncle, David, is in a group home for Alzheimer's patients in Florida, he's been there since he became paranoid and violent and too much for my aunt Moira to look after. She was a formidable woman and, oddly, reminded me of Mrs. Thatcher in some indefinable way--perhaps it was the sheer indomitability of will brought about by her years as a nurse.

Well in any case, she passed on about five years back now. And my greatest sympathy is for my cousins, because David apparently still greets them with "Hi! How's your mother?"

I hardly know what to wish the Baroness. "Long life" would sound insincere, ironic, which this post really isn't meant to be. Yet "a swift and painless passing" seems somehow malevolent, though we should all desire it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... But we're all human ...."

Speak for yourself ....

 
At 3:50 am, Blogger Silverstar said...

How about release from suffering? She's had a long enough life, especially if she can't remember it.

 
At 8:22 am, Blogger Metro said...

@g eagle:
Well, for a given definition ...

@silverstar
Excellently put. Perhaps "surcease" would be a good option.

 
At 12:06 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Yes, Carol Thatcher is getting all kinds of stick for publishing these truths before Maggie is dead. My parents don't think it a problm and I see that whenever Carol had pubished this she would have had some stick for it - people don't want to be reminded that their heroes, or heroines, are human.

The 'care' homes over here are dire though. i wouldn't wish to keep a fdog in one of them.

 
At 4:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the words "Thatcher" and "Dementia" together, I knew Carol Thatcher was involved in some way, but imagine my surprise at the real story!

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger Pugs said...

That really is sad. I have heard about things like this happening. Having to tell a dementia patient that their loved one is dead over and over. They take it hard every time. Truly sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home