Metroblog

But I digress ...

30 August 2008

Shat, Man ...

We do not, here at the ol' Metroblog, suffer from the Shat obsession characterized by certain other bloggers in the neighbourhood.

Still ...

This has to be some kinda sign of the approaching apocalypse. Joe Jackson, one of the original punks, coupled (ugh--sorry, little wave of nausea, typing that)together with the Shat, coupled together (and I think I just threw up a little, in my mouth) with the animated Star Trek series coupled together with (anyone got a Tic-Tac?) K/S slash.

Be-£µ©λing-hold. Lyrics below:



Common People
by Pulp

She came from Greece, she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College
That's where I caught her eye
She told me that her Dad was loaded
I said "In that case I'll have rum and coca-cola
She said "fine"
And then in 30 seconds time she said

"I want to live like common people
I want to do whatever common people do
I want to sleep with common people
I want to sleep with common people like you"
Well what else could I do?
I said "I'll see what I can do"

I took her to a supermarket
I don't know why
but I had to start it somewhere
so it started there
I said "pretend you've got no money"
but she just laughed
and said "oh you're so funny"
I said "Yeah
Well I can't see anyone else smiling in here
Are you sure

you want to live like common people
you want to see whatever common people see
you want to sleep with common people
you want to sleep with common people like me?"
But she didn't understand
she just smiled and held my hand

Rent a flat above a shop
Cut your hair and get a job
Smoke some fags and play some pool
Pretend you never went to school
But still you'll never get it right
'cos when you're laid in bed at night
watching roaches climb the wall
if you called your dad he could stop it all
yeah

You'll never live like common people
You'll never do whatever common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view
and then dance and drink and screw
because there's nothing else to do

Sing along with the common people
Sing along and it might just get you through
Laugh along with the common people
Laugh along although they're laughing at you
and the stupid things that you do
because you think that poor is cool

Like a dog lying in a corner
they will bite you and never warn you
Look out
they'll tear your insides out
'cos everybody hates a tourist
especially one who thinks
it's all such a laugh
yeah and the chip stain's grease
will come out in the bath

You will never understand
how it feels to live your life
with no meaning or control
and with nowhere left to go
You are amazed that they exist
and they burn so bright
whilst you can only wonder why

Rent a flat above a shop
Cut your hair and get a job
Smoke some fags and play some pool
Pretend you never went to school
But still you'll never get it right
'cause when you're laid in bed at night
watching roaches climb the wall
if you called your dad he could stop it all
yeah

You'll never live like common people
You'll never do whatever common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view
and then dance and drink and screw
'because there's nothing else to do
I want to live with common people like you.....

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:01 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Joe Jackson wasn't a punk.

You watch an animated Star Trek series?

And listen to Pulp?

*gulp*

ohhhh dear.

 
At 8:57 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Not in the classic sense, perhaps.

Actually, before he went pop, he was indeed punk, even ska.

The animated ST series has been defunct for decades--didn't the "Move-mouth-move-eyes-move-body-later"-school animation tip you off?

And I wouldn't know Pulp if I tripped over them, but the song is great.

 
At 12:31 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

But ska isn't punk either, it's ska. Joe jackson was new wave. Ska is from the 60's and has a reggae beat. It was revived in the 70's with 2 tone; bands like the specials in Coventry. I went to Uni in coventry. And in the 80's bands like Fun Boy Three kept ska going. That ska might have become fused with punk later or across the pond does not detract from the fact that his (Joe Jackson - who comes from near where my Mum lives) biggest hit: "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" is not at all punk in any way shape or form.

Never saw an animated trekkie series - sacrilege.

I prefer pulp's Disco 2000 myself:
Oh deborah, do you recall?
Your house was very small,
With wood chip on the wall.
When I came around to call,
You didn't notice me at all.

 
At 6:37 am, Blogger Pugs said...

I thought Joe Jackson biggest hit was "Steppin Out"? I used to love that song. The video was some maid cleaning a hotel room and wearing the occupants furs and shit. I thought he was just plain old pop and not punk, ska or new wave. New wave is like Devo, Flock of Seagulls or Missing Persons...

By the way, I like Shat. Did you know the mask they used for Michael Myers in the first Halloween is actually a Shat mask that they painted green? Interesting...

 
At 12:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rip-roaring brilliant. Makes me want to beam down to Brixton...

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Yeah I think pugs is right - just pop.

Thanks pugs I'd forgotton Steppin out

Good memories, Metro, thanks :-)

 
At 3:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm .... or rather mmmm which is mmmm backwards

As Shrek so perceptively opined :

Well, that explains a lot

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Metro said...

@philipa:
At his Wikipedia bio, first I laid hold of, Jackson is described as having started in punk. And I sure wouldn't characterize him as New Wave.

His biggest hits tended toward pop, okay. But if we were only defined by our hits then Michaelangelo wouldn't have been defiantly signing himself "Michaelangelo, scultore" even on the Sistine Chapel.

The animated Trek dates from the early seventies, just as the original was fading from adult-time-slot reruns, I think.

It won Emmy awards, believe it or not. The writing seems to have been quite good.

@pugs:
I'd heard about the Shat mask in Halloween. Wonder if he got any royalties?

@Sparky:

Welcome, and thanks for stopping in. Not all who wander are lost, indeed.

@G Eagle Esq.
It does, indeed it does.

 
At 5:34 am, Blogger Philipa said...

Ah Metro but everyone knows that wikipedia is crap. I'll give you the new wave thing though, he was just pop. But not punk.

 
At 8:53 am, Blogger Metro said...

Actually, Philipa, a survey a while back, which I believe was covered in the Economist found that the Brittanica and Wikipedia have similar error rates.

I'd tend to side with the Brittanica, but it's still pretty impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home