Metroblog

But I digress ...

06 August 2008

I love Language #32

Via Pharyngula I found this post at Effect Measure.
My view, though, is that small pains in the body politic like this are emblematic of a deeper cancer within. I'll even be so bold as to coin a term for it: a theonoma. Like a lot of debilitating diseases, theonomas are best prevented rather than treated. We've known how to do this since the Enlightenment -- separate theology from civil political discourse.
Emphasis mine.

Theonoma: th e o' no mah (n):
1) The underlying social condition of collective religiostiy expressed in overt display in secular public spaces.
See also:
Bush Administration.

*Sits back and waits for somone to demonstrate the presence of a theonoma.*

Hope it'll take a while.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:28 pm, Blogger Pugs said...

I think that Osteen bitch (that preachers wife) pulled a theonoma near an airplane bathroom recently. I know that I always pray to God when I use them...

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger Metro said...

I suspect more prayers are addressed to God at the white porcelain altar than anywhere else. Especially when said convenience is anywhere near an airline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home