Metroblog

But I digress ...

01 July 2008

So, Happy Canada Day, Eh?

I love my country. For all I bitch about the current government; with all the venial, short-sighted, grasping, greedy, blackhearted fellow citizens I have to share it with; for all that much of our industry has evaporated overseas or over the border. There's a lot of it to love.

In no particular order.

Big damn place.

We have gay marriage. No "civil union" wordsplitting, not "justlikemarriages." Marriage.

A constitutional monarchy: the best form of government there is. The monarch and the people are each empowered by the constitution, and the constitution is protected by the monarch and the people.

A relaxed attitude to vice. Pot is illegal, but tolerance is high. Prostitution is legal (though negotiating the transaction isn't).

We have free speech, and hate speech laws. Because we recognize that the two aren't mutually exclusive, and that rhetorical effect is a real force.

We're the first civilized nation trying to do anything about carbon emissions. Happy Canada day to British Columbia, where prices jumped two-point-four cents at the pump, and everyone got a cheque for a hundred bucks--including my 6-month-old niece, who is not known to have much of an opinion on the price of gasoline.

Single-payer health care (not "universal", not "socialized"). I have yet to hear of a better system.

We give awards to abortion rights pioneers.

Our musicians are pretty damn good. Here are some:




The original Lunatic Fringe



David Wilcox: Canada's Hot, Hot Papa

And what Canadian lineup would ever be complete sans the Tragically Hip? Here they are with "In View". In which Gord Downie resorts to desperate measure to find a phone that works, triggering a sort of Asian zombie chase.



Happy Canada Day! Don't you wish you lived here? I do. Then I could buy you a beer. But I hope you'll take the thought for the deed.

Oh, and how could I forget Stompin' Tom?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:55 pm, Blogger The Nag said...

I don't like the monarchy but I do like Stompin' Tom. As a matter of fact I think they should take the Queen off of our money and put on Stompin' Tom.

 
At 11:16 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Oh come on, what's not to like about the monarchy? Did the Queen personally come to your house and hog the best chair whilst issuing orders or something?

I'd like to see a Stompin' Tom line of flooring, myself.

 
At 10:38 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

A Stompin' Tom line of flooring would be great (especially since I'm looking into hardwood flooring right now for my new house).

As for the monarchy, I could take it or leave it. A well designed democracy should have more than enough safeguards to make a monarch redundant - besides, if the Queen disagreed on something, do you really think the government wouldn't just go ahead with whatever they were doing anyway?

 
At 11:57 am, Blogger Metro said...

@KA:
Welcome. Any relation to Cerebus?

I regret that what used to be the best-designed democracy on earth has been utterly perverted by those who know hold her in thrall, and it's a long way yet till November.

If the Queen has a real problem with legislation from any of HM colonies, she actually has a veto. But I don't think it's been used in my lifetime, nor for a good while prior.

Re. Hardwood--I prefer laminate. Never soaks up liquds (assuming you fit it tightly), never warps due to heat/cold differentials ...

Whatever you go with, just remember the moisture barrier and noise absorbtion underlay--worth its weight in zinc. Especially when the cat is rolling a giant marble around upstairs.

I also like the new bamboo flooring they're coming out with. It's as good-looking as HW, but much cheaper and ridonkulously durable.

Stompin' Tom used to carry a one-foot square of 3/4-inch plywood with him on tour, because venue owners complained about the damage he did to their stages.

Periodically he'd wear one out and give it to a fan, sometimes autographed.

 
At 7:50 am, Blogger King Aardvark said...

We still haven't decided what type of flooring to get. Bamboo is worth looking into - someone else had mentioned it before but I forgot, so thanks for the reminder.

As for the Queen's veto, I know she technically has one. I just don't think that a government bent on doing something evil enough to be vetoed would actually let something as triffling as a veto from a lady across the pond get in their way.

 
At 11:54 am, Blogger Metro said...

She walks softly, but she swings a mighty big purse!

I hear her boys are some tough too, she'd send them over to give Harper lumps ...

$#17 ... I'd actually pay to see that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home