Metroblog

But I digress ...

24 July 2008

The Passion of the Crust

He did it.

PZ Myers desecrated a host. He shoved a nail through it and threw it into the garbage. He also included a couple of pages from the Qu'ran and from Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion for good measure.

And I, I find myself relieved. Imagine the reaction if he'd defecated on it, as some of his detractors suggested he do with a Qu'ran (some folks even sent him one for the purpose). Instead, he treated it dismissively, as a thing of no importance. Like an atheist.

I find his actions fairly reserved and sensible, on balance, especially in light of some of the abuse he's received for so much as publicly contemplating the death of the wafer.

One quote from some of his e-mail did a great deal to turn my mind in Myers' favour:
Since I'm not demonstrating any fear over their threats against me, well hey, let's try a new target! KJ Atkins of Bellarmine University thinks cowardly warnings against my family might be effective.

You fool, the vengeance for your sacrilege will not be . exhausted against you, but it will be carried out on your child. Wait and see.
My biggest question is: Where the hell was the Catholic Church on this? An issue that's hit the internet so hard there are echoes of it nearly everywhere I go, and not one word from the Vatican?

Oh--I forgot. The Pope was celebrating World Youth Day. What's the Latin word for "irony"?

Where was the statement from a prominent Archbishop saying "Hey--okay the guy's acting like an @$$#013, but let's not give him any more ammunition, eh?"

Where did common sense and decency go? What happened to turning the other cheek?

The people Myers is dealing with claim to represent Christianity, if not Catholicism outright. They're supposed to take their inspiration from the way Christ lived his life.

But their answer to question "What would Jesus do?" is: "Threaten to kill somone?"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:36 am, Blogger Philipa said...

I don't understand this.

None of this behaviour seems to be from grown-ups. It's very very childish.

What would Jesus do? God knows.

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger Metro said...

I didn't like PZ's initial offer to desecrate a host. It seemed hyperbolic. And I think there are fair questions raised about how an atheist gets hold of a consecrated host that transcend a philosophical argument.

And I still think Webster Cook is a dick.

But the reactions have been so extreme and, frankly, vile, that it's hard to believe they come from the faith community I was raised in.

Had there been no reaction, I think Myers wouldn't have bothered.

What would Jesus do? Well I surely don't think he'd threaten to kill someone over a frackin' cracker.

Here endeth the lesson.

Of course, if God cared he could have stopped the whole business dead in its tracks at any time. I'd say the evidence indicates he's on PZ's side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home