Metroblog

But I digress ...

03 July 2008

"Battle-Hardened" Doesn't Mean Error-Proof

I've said elsewhere that my experience with weapons in the Canadian Forces convinced me that arms control in a civil society is an absolute necessity, and that the more stringent such control is, the better.

Why? Well here's the sort of thing professionals are capable of:

France just had 17 people blasted by a guy who had just come home from a live deployment in Chad.

He apparently managed to mistake live ammo for blanks.
The soldier who fired the shots was arrested, but an army spokesman insisted that Sunday's incident was "99.99 per cent" likely the result of an "unintentional" error.
I'm not saying I'd never make that mistake, but there are significant differences. Blanks, without the lead projectiles, are significantly lighter. And in France they pack blank ammo in a different coloured magazine to avoid exactly this kind of confusion.

Remember, this is a trained professional. I feel so sorry for him. Not to mention seventeen people whose lives will never be the same.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:59 am, Blogger Pugs said...

So do you think that he actually did mistake them for blanks or were the victims former high school classmates he secretly harboured resentment for because they used to beat him during lunch hour...

 
At 11:02 am, Blogger Pugs said...

Looking at this article again, I find it strange that he had a spare magazine in his pocket. Interesting to see how this is going to turn out...

 
At 1:05 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Not sure what you mean--are you saying he shouldn't have had a spare mag?

I think the question "Why did he have it in his pocket," is slightly mistranslated. What I feel they were really asking is "Why did he have it (the real ammo)?"

 
At 12:44 pm, Blogger Pugs said...

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, sorry about the non-clarity.

Why the hell did he have REAL ammo? If he were to need a reserve of blanks, would they not have given that to him had he asked or they felt he needed it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home