Metroblog

But I digress ...

16 April 2008

A Surreal Moment From Metroland

Yesterday I was speaking with a colleague at work when she interrupted the conversation:

"I'm sorry," she said "I have to go move my car."

To which I wittily replied: "Huh?"

"I'm in a two-hour zone, so I have to go move my car."

O Avid Fan, weep for us. The city of Hometown contains fewer than fifty thousand residents. There's ample, nay, abundant street parking within two short blocks of the building. To put the formaldehyde-soaked maraschino cherry on this sundae of surrealism, the lot directly behind the building next door, once a thriving grocery store complete with parking lot, is vacant and daily full of cars belonging to those who work in the area.

Why in the name of the FSM would you park in a two hour zone and have to rush out three times during your working day? I asked her if it was for the exercise.

"No," quoth she. "If I arrive early I always park on X St, that way I don't have to walk so far."

"Saves wear and tear on the wooden leg, eh?" I asked with only a slight trace of snark.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of my parents who would drive 10 miles out of their way to take advantage of a 2 cent per litre petrol saving. You should get her to measure the distance she walks three times a day back and forth and minus that from the closest non-2 hr park and see what the result is. I would be keen to find out the result...as a math exercise, unlike a strange exercise in human nature.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Slave to the dogs said...

Heh. The reasoning gene is clearly damaged or missing in some folks.

Cheap will outweigh lazy for me every time.

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@Mur:

Um, I've done something similar, during the First Gulf War I drove about 11 km out of my way to fuel up. But I reckoned I was getting at least four litres extra out of the transaction ...

But I did the math first.

@STTD
The odd thing is that since the cost is equal (free), she's actually working at least twice as hard as she has to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home