Metroblog

But I digress ...

02 April 2008

Some Sense on Cents!

Finally--some sense about the cent. The cent will soon see its centenary, and sensible sorts seek to see it stopped.

That's right, after a dollar's worth of years, a sensible motion from the New Democratic Party (which puts them one up over Stephane Dion's Liberals) would do away with the copper coin.

My 2¢ worth? Well, actually, rounding to the nearest nickel, my 0¢ worth:
I'm 100 per nickel in favour.

The conversion would be easy. We wouldn't even need to change our pricing. Heck, even Australia, which did away with the cent decades ago, still prices things at "$19.99". It's just that when you get to the till, you find it's actually $20 even.

Certainly it might do away with the ridiculous pricing of cars. I mean, if you're in the market for a Chrysler Crossfire, do you care whether it costs you $27,999.99 or $28K even?

Heck, we'd even save a few ... er, nickels on printing costs.

However, as a writer, I have some reservations. Will a penny saved still be a penny earned? Will one still be able to spoil the ship for a ha'p'th of tar? Will godforsaken Miami Vice-style yuppie wannabes have to shop for even upscale-r quarter loafers?

Will undesireable relations pop up like a bad loonie? Will we finally become both dime wise and kilogram foolish? What will I not have to rub together?

There could be come spillover too. Would toilet paper come in snickeled and unsnickeled? Something that happened lately might be redime, but the term "dollarury" sounds like a manufacturing facility producing decoys.

I know, I know, I've overdone it. Taken the whole thing waaaay too far. With professional writers, words are ten to the ... $5.00, I should hope.

At least government and industry will still be able to nickel and dime us to death.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:18 pm, Blogger Slave to the dogs said...

Clever wordplay. I like.

The US penny has been obsolete for some time now. Especially now that it's worth even less than yours. :P

 
At 8:53 am, Blogger The Nag said...

I'm surprised you didn't offer me a nickel for my thoughts on this :-)

 
At 6:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a serious note (temporary, I promise you) should you buy something for $19.99 and use your credit card, there is no rounding! I am centsitive about that sort of inconsistency!

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger Metro said...

@STTD:
Thank you very much. But if you hold onto those US pennies, it seems the Royal Bank is betting they'll soon be worth $1.08 Canadian or something again.

@Nag:
You don't think that that would push the metaphor too far? ;-)

@Archie:
Good point. Bad pun. Sounds like you're in good health.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home