Metroblog

But I digress ...

14 March 2008

The Editorial Eye

Some folks have it, some don't.

My editorial eye is primarily a musical one. I first noticed it when I went to see a band billed in the advert whence I got the tickets as "Dire Straights".

Some time ago, I observed a sign reading "Live Sat: Vince Neil of Motley Crew."

And the other day I found a web page where an intense discussion of the finer points of the band "Spinal Tap" were being discussed.

However, it should be noted that the Spinal Tap board has a point, in that Microsoft apparently did not see fit to equip any of their fonts with an umlauted "n".

However, other people exercise their editorial skills in other media. Case in point:



In a nearly-related story, a California attorney was asked to surrender his "GO 2 11" license plate. This move by the relevant authority was due to some wanker-with-nothing-better-to-do's apparent contention that the plate could be read as "go to hell."

It's kind of fun to read the response.

Story blatantly stolen off the Spinal Tap Fan site.

8 Comments:

At 12:39 pm, Blogger Slave to the dogs said...

The exhibits are the best part of that letter. But who in the 11 reads "GO 2 11" as "GO 2 HELL"?

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger Metro said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:21 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Probably the same morons who believe in numeric Bible codes, that Dan Brown is a non-fiction author, and that the circled "K" on a bottle of Snapple means the company has paid its special Jewish tax.

Oh, and that Barack Obama is a Muslim.

In any case, those who do, should.

 
At 11:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm cursed with a form of savant syndrome: perfect spelling and grammar. It's very definitely a curse since the world is filled with misspellings everywhere I turn. And the Internet perpetuates them by giving them a sort of "if it's printed, it must be right" validation. Where's my vodka...

 
At 4:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have to get that picture. And I found a ruling you'd love.

 
At 12:00 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@RC:
If by "get" you mean "steal", you're welcome. After all, I must have stolen it from somewhere, though I know not whence it came.

However, I'm also stealing that court report.

 
At 12:26 pm, Anonymous Chris G said...

Does anyone know if the guy won his appeal?

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Metro said...

Excellent question, Chris. Unfortunately in the malestrom of the interwebs, Keith Wagner and his GO 2 11 license plate appear to have been carried off into history.

Perhaps someone with better access to the legal files might be able to dig that information up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home