Metroblog

But I digress ...

20 February 2008

Speaking of Taxes on Stuff. How About on Music?

The Songwriter's Association of Canada is proposing a $5-per-month fee to be charged on people's cable bills, in return for which all music would be freely available for download.

I kind of like this idea. I think $5 is too high, but I'd probably pony up $2 a month without too much complaint.

Good luck convincing Sony and the RIAA that this is a good idea, though. And I'm not at all willing to do this unless the music industry's catalogues are made open and unrestricted for access before I break loose the first red cent.

Besides, the music industry will never go for it: it's an idea that comes from actual content creators and might put the money into their hands, rather than the grubby mitts of music industry execs.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:42 pm, Blogger Slave to the dogs said...

I think I'd like that idea too.

The RIAA would say its unfair because the MPAA doesn't have to do the same.

Movie/music industry execs are a special breed of demon.

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

I like that idea too but some would say it unfair I suppose.

 
At 2:58 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Interestingly, the reaction seems to have been universally negative. Still, as someone who has downloaded songs (none of them, I think, a source of much royalty revenue to the music makers, and still less to record company executives), I think this would go a long way to salving what little my conscience itches me.

Of course, what's really needed is a whole new model for the way music companies and musicians do business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home