Metroblog

But I digress ...

28 November 2007

Wednesday Hair Metal Videos

Featured artist: Karen Lynn Greening, formerly of Bellville, Ontario, and the original Metal Queen.
The thing I think I always liked most about her was how much fun she had doing this stuff. This is no-brakes, perilously-poppy, classic hair metal.

Second hit: Listen to that voice. Whiskey and velvet, high peaks and seductive lows. Mmmm.



I'd post "Hands On," and Nightriders but I need room for a couple of others here. This next one was probably her last real charted hit, and an important message. I find it a bit too much pop, but watch this one, and again: she's having a hell of a lot of fun with it.



I got to wondering where she'd gotten to, lately, and here's where: She moved to jazztown. Metal's loss is jazz's gain, I suppose. Yet I still find it vaguely disconcerting to hear the Metal Queen doing "Why Don't You Do Right? ... which is not the video below.



In a related and most appropriate vein, Mme Metro last saw Lee Aaron on stage in 120 Songs for the Marquis de Sade, lying on a table, nude, bellowing out a song whose main refrain was "£µ©λ me, £µ©λ me!"

YouTube, sadly, seems to be missing this little item.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 pm, Blogger Lori said...

She actually wasn't one of the nude characters on stage in this rather fascinating modern opera, but yes, she did recline on a table, and, as part of one of the 120 songs, sang those immortal words to a man who was nude, standing between her legs...

Very memorable evening, to say the least.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Philipa said...

Mmn when you wrote 'Hands on' I immediately thought of Place your hands by Reef I love that track. Hey I love that album. Classic.

 
At 8:57 am, Blogger Metro said...

Thanks, Philipa, I enjoyed that video. I'd never heard of Reef before.

I'm partial to hair metal, but I enjoy other genres as well, and the dirtier the better :-)

Really, I like good lyrics. Double-entendres, plays on words ...

"So we put her on the hit list
of a common cunning linguist
a master of many tongues
And now she eases gently from her Austin to her Bently
Suddenly she feels so young

Deep Purple
"Knockin' at Your Back Door"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home