Metroblog

But I digress ...

10 September 2007

Am I Entirely Nucking Futz?

The blogging may get a bit sparse for a while.

Why? Well because basically I need to be committed, possibly in both major senses of the word.

I haven't started eating my soup with chopsticks, and I'm not dancing bare-assed down 42nd St. yelling that the Kaiser will steal my string, or that Dubya is a great president or anything.

Instead, I've taken on roles in three plays. Three.

Play number one, whose title I can't remember enough to pseudonymize, has a 140-page script. I'm apparently supposed to be a male lead of some description.

Play two is a musical Christmas production, in which I will appear as at least four different characters, possibly five.

Play three is a traditional, Britisihonal, Christmas Pantomime. I've always wanted to do one. I am apparently supposed to be a clueless king. Mme Metro remarked drily that 'twas casting for type.

Am I mad? My rehearsal schedule is likely to look like this: Play one--MTuThFr, evenings. Play two, W, evenings. Play three, Su 9-5.

Mme is putting my portrait up by the door so she can make sure it's me when I get home.

But forgive me my hubris in taking this on--I love it!. If I could quit my job and do this for a living, I would, without hesitation. Where the hell has this been in my life? Why didn't I strike out on my own and try my hand at acting when I was eighteen? Well partly because the Coliseum was a really tough crowd, but lack of confidence was a factor.

Now I feel like Tarzan in that freefall moment between convenient vines. I hope the next vine turns out to be there--and that it's not a snake. In that spirit:

5 Comments:

At 4:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are nutz! Congratulations on being such a popular casting choice. The main problem would be if the performance dates clashed.

I probably should look at rejoining an amatuer company and playing with lights and sound again.

 
At 10:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You great big show off!

I'd sooner scoop out my own eyeballs with a rusty spoon than stand up in front of a crowd of people.

But that's just me.

Hope it all goes swimmingly ... I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Photos please!

 
At 1:54 pm, Blogger Metro said...

@Archie:
You should definitely get back in the game. I don't know how it goes in Oz, but up here all theatre companies are scraping for all the people they can get.

@Az:
Re. Scooping out your eyeballs with a rusty spoon; If you did that, you'd certainly gather an audience ...

 
At 1:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... well done, M Metro - what an adventure

I hope the saintly Mdm Metro is getting involved - perhaps treading the Boards or behind the Curtains eg as a costumier or culinary tea-maker

.... and you never guessed that this Eagle is a Director of a very talented Young People's Theatre Company ...

Yr obedt servt etc

G E

 
At 3:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are indeed nutz. But you knew that, didn't you?

I knew there was something theatrical about that bird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home