Metroblog

But I digress ...

22 June 2007

Two Carrots!

Okay, you gotta give 'em credit for this.

I got my raise. Now I asked for 15 percent, originally. And figured I'd accept no less than ten. I got 7.8.

But--and as Orson Welles used to say, it's a big but--They offered me another project. It is juicier and more meaningful than the "Oh $#!7 reports" I've been doing so far, and may in fact displace one of them entirely elsewhere.

And even better: if I "take a lead role" in the creation and nurturing of this new project, I will receive another 7.8 percent raise, although exactly when has not been specified.

I'm quite happy with the way things have turned out, apart from the long delay. I think I'll stick around for a while. Heck, if I get the other half of the raise I might get my credit card paid off in a year.

6 Comments:

At 12:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I guess I'll be sending THUD! C.O.D then.

 
At 10:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, if you had asked for 30% you would have gotten 15.3% instead?

IH

 
At 2:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, and when they gave you these great new responsibilities they took away...which existing ones?

 
At 4:55 am, Blogger Metro said...

@Az:
No problem, but send it as a gift so we don't have to worry about tax.

@IH:
I felt that 15% was reasonable to cover what I'm doing now. Next year I will most likely ask for a similar amount ... especially as I will have new responsibilities.

@RC:
I haven't started on the new item yet, but we're already in talks about ditching one of the mine-and-whine products. The news at our website serves no purpose except to keep it looking fresh. I've long been an advocate of dumping the News McNuggets in favour of something that would drive sales better.

It's a fair deal, more or less, in my eyes.

 
At 8:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends. If the news items are getting posted regularly enough that they're the most frequent updates the site sees, then you'll lose value unless you replace them with something equally frequent. But you could always just stick a Technorati widget in there to display titles of posts on certain topics.

 
At 5:11 am, Blogger Metro said...

That's a very good idea, assuming we can define the terms narrowly enough. I can't believe I hadn't considered that before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home