Metroblog

But I digress ...

11 June 2007

My Oblogation to Readers ... ?

So I had a thought.

Someone I know, like, and respect claims to be actively seeking out my blog. This person has come in for a couple of mentions here and there; some of them positively hagiographic, some less so.

So I was wondering whether I should a) Post something as a warning that "here there may be dragons" for the unwary? b) selectively edit certain examples, or c) forget it, and go with "what's done is done."

Obviously I'm choosing "a". I couldn't do "b". I dislike censorship, and why should I censor that which is true? And what I post is as true as I can make it. Sometimes things may be ill-expressed or written in anger or with bad grace. But dammit, (1) this is a blog.

But "c" is out too. I don't write stuff to hurt people (for a given value of "people"), and certainly not intentionally. See note (1).

I struggle for objectivity at all times--the operative word is "struggle", see note (1).

My thoughts on the subject are as yet incomplete. See note (1)

In other news: My workplace ignores the serial comma. I feel this reduces the richness of the language.

That's it.

...

C'mon, it's a slow day news-wise. I'm fed up with politics right now.

The US is in the grip of a criminal madman ... IMPEACH! Can anyone tell me why he's not in the dock yet? Blah blah blah and pray for Obama in 2008.

Canada is in the grip of people who admire the criminal madman. Blah blah blah and pray for the Green party sweep of whenever this government gets taken down (2008, January is my bet).

Paris Hilton. Paris £µ©λing Hilton. Who cares anyway? I've never thought she was particularly fascinating, nor beautiful. Looks like Modgliani drew her but forgot to finish her off. Not famous for actually doing anything but ruining her own life and spending money. I don't care about "justice" in this case--on either side. It's long past the point of being a bad joke.

While the media flew helicopters over the courthouse to make sure they got the perfect picture of Paris, the 3500th soldier died in Iraq. Malls across America are expected to run a special "If you don't go shopping, his death will have been in vain" promotion with up to 40% off selected items like kevlar vests and Hummvee armour packages.

But speaking of pretty white chicks and media attention: Why do you know the name Kelsey Smith, when you've never heard of Stepha Henry? Both were apparently the victims of foul play. Only one has been found, and only one got real international attention. Because the media knows pretty white girls sell.

Oh, and while I was looking that up at the home of Cliff Schecter (who can verbally beat down a republican strategist faster than Cheney can shoot his face off--or someone else's), I spotted this image:



Who knew he was a demon ninja? Well, I mean, I know we all suspected but ...

2 Comments:

At 11:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm choosing "a". I dislike censorship, and why should I censor that which is true? And what I post is as true as I can make it. Sometimes things may be ill-expressed or written in anger or with bad grace. But dammit, this is a blog (1).

I struggle for objectivity at all times--the operative word is "struggle", see note (1)."

Yep, with you there!

 
At 11:10 am, Blogger Metro said...

Geez you're fast.

I hardly had time to remove the post, rewrite it to be more sensitive, and take out the bit associating the Bush administration with the increase in prosecuted incest and bestiality cases in Appalachia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home