Metroblog

But I digress ...

20 June 2007

Canada Gets One Too!

We now have a proposed "No-Fly List". I'm not 100 percent clear on the concept, but I think a "No-Mosquito" list might have been more useful. Especially considering the success of the US version in harassing grannies, toddlers, people whose names differ by only two letters from the names of people whose names are actually on the list, and my father.

Yeah. Dad has a name not quite as common and anglic-sounding as "John Smith". From 2001 to 2005, every time he handed his passport to a Fatherland Insanity placeholder, the particular bollard would shuffle out of his booth into the intestines of the airport. Some half-hour later, Dad would be allowed to travel again. But he began arriving an hour earlier than the stated times on his ticket.

No explanation was ever offered. But it has since come to Dad's attention that one "John Smith" was definitely on the No-Fly-List.

Personally I'm thankful that we seem determined to increase our Gross Domestic Product by adding a thriving Terrorbusiness sector.

Wandering Coyote got there first, so go read it there.

5 Comments:

At 12:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder he gets pulled over. They can tell he's related to you.

 
At 1:48 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey - I can't fly. Maybe I should put myself on the list so I don't accidentally take something I shouldn't, and thinking I can fly cross an international border at Mach .8 or something.

 
At 9:05 am, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Does anyone (other than the Cons, obviously) think this is a good idea? And is it going to get out of hand like the gun registry? There's so much about this that is just plain sketchy.

 
At 9:11 am, Blogger Metro said...

@Raincoaster:
According to the latest information, it's because they know I have met you and apparently come away with my wits more-or-less intact. They suspect me of an alliance with demonic forces, and so are harrassing my relatives.

@Richard:
I think we should legislate to the Gitmo Torture Standard, as established in US V. Civilization. Everyone goes on the no-fly list until they prove they're loyal by oh, I don't know, singing the national anthem in English, or making a generous donation to the Conservative Bundeskirk.

@WC:
At least the gun registry might usefully be argued to have saved a life or two. This won't do anything but drive the already-thriving trade in false Canadian passports.

Of course, the Mossad apparently get a discount. Maybe it's because they buy in volume? Wonder what'll happen the next time the agent of a foreign service travels on a Canuck passport?

 
At 11:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw one middle-aged Canadian Caucasian man on the news saying that his name is similar to some suspected terrorist on the U.S. no-fly list and flying is already a huge hassle for him. I can't understand why this would be a good idea for flights within Canada. It's insane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home