Metroblog

But I digress ...

05 March 2007

My Bizarro Moment

Today, I wrote a small article relating to the following:
Six Killed in Baseball Team Bus Crash
Bluffton University, a small Mormon college in Ohio, was shocked last week by the deaths of six members of its baseball team. The team bus apparently left the highway travelling too fast for an exit ramp, flipped and fell 30 feet, coming to rest on its side. Twenty-nine people on the bus were injured, seven critically, including the team coach.
My boss looked at it and said: "Well we really need to keep ourselves to workplace safety related material."

The number-one killer of workers is road accidents (and don't get me started on the "accident/incident" debate). This article seems entirely appropriate. Wasn't the coach at work? How about the bus driver? If sports scholarships are a form of payment then the students were travelling to work. Our audience is supposed to be mid-level safety management. Shouldn't the risks of having workers travel--particularly by charter bus--be a concern to them?

Is it just me? How come I can't see how this isn't workplace safety related?

5 Comments:

At 1:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe s/he can only think of stationary workplaces. I agree, it's a workplace safety issue.

 
At 3:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had an accident out here a while ago where several people were killed when the chartered bus they were travelling in was broadsided by a semi. These people were employees of a company in Ft. Mac and were travelling on a "company bus" so therefore I consider it a workplace accident.
See what your boss says to someone being crushed under a D8 Cat 30 miles from the nearest paved road. Is that considered a workplace or not? If it is, then how does the bus crash differ?
A "Workplace" is where you work, not a building.

IH

 
At 7:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boss sounds like a stick in the mud. Break out your bag of Office Space [the movie] antics.

 
At 8:16 am, Blogger Metro said...

Actually my boss is quite a nice person. The workplace is a business-to-business outfit, so I suspect that this means the perceived culture is supposed to be "more-businesslike-than-thou" for the sake of the clientelle.

 
At 2:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose. That's why I can't do the whole office culture thing. I'd get fired like, instantly lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home