Metroblog

But I digress ...

06 March 2007

If You Don't Have Something Nice to Say ...

Fine example I am. I go on about the lack of civil disourse on the internet and then I post the below.

I apologise to the actual conservatives who read my blog (I know there's at least one). I was tired, and angry (for the nth time) about the hijacking of the term "conservative" by people who identify themselves as such to avoid having to declare themselves small-minded, big-mouthed bigots.

It was a day that brought me into inadvertent contact with Ann Coulter, whom true conservatives should be beating back into whatever hole she crawled from with cricket bats, with Tailgunner Joe McCarthy, whose date of death should be a national holiday in the USA, and with Conservapedia, the right-wing's answer to reality.

But my frustration got the better of me, and by writing angrily about conservatives in the tone I did, I haven't improved anything at all. My apologies to the many real-world conservatives I have known.

But I won't remove the post. Much as I feel embarrassed about it, it is part of the public record, and to remove it feels dishonest. Nor will I tinker with it to make it more sensible and reasonable; Unlike the White House.

My apologies to the true conservatives who occasionally read my work. Who can tell the difference between necessary military intervention and personal aggrandizement and adventurism. Those who believe a government has no right to spy on its citizens. Those who believe in justice, including the Geneva Conventions and habeas corpus. Those who damn lies no matter what the source, and won't trade facts for prejudice.

3 Comments:

At 6:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought your post on conservatives was funny. And I knew that you were targeting only rabid, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Coulter fans, not all conservatives.

Ironically, even the staunchest conservatives are distancing themselves from Coulter now. Yesterday she said, "'Faggot' isn't offensive to gays; it has nothing to do with gays. [!!] It's a schoolyard taunt meaning 'wuss,' and unless you're telling me that John Edwards is gay, it was not applied to a gay person."

Then she says it's another example of the mainstream media's "speech totalitarianism", then said she sees no reason to apologize for a joking comment that was taken "out of context".

The best part is, she said, "And by the way, if they're [Republicans] going to start apologizing for everything I say, they better keep that statement handy cause there's going to be a lot more in the next year."

GOOD! Keep 'em coming, moron.

 
At 2:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monsieur M et PJ

From this side of the Pond, I am not confident that I entirely understand Mlle Coulter - I have to confess that I have had to ask FFE in Norman-French to explain le mot "fagot" (I was too embarrassed to ask in Englisch)

I am glad that Monsieur M is not removing his post which was written with passion, humour and (if fagot means what I suspect it means) understandable annoyance

but

It is interesting that Mlle Coulter seems to thrive on being aggressive & so destructive of her opponents

.... is there a danger that her critics could become her mirror image by being equally aggressive & scornfully dismissive

mmmm - is this an ageing Gray Eagle writing - perhaps youth & passion have their merits

Yr ob servt etc
& kind regards

G E

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger Metro said...

Yeah--she meant Edwards was a bundle of sticks, right?

Yeah, yeah, that's it!

Why do these clods always retreat to whining "I was quoted out of context"?

She was on a stage in front of a massive crowd of theoretically conservative blue-suiters and used schoolyard bully language in an ideological cheerfest.

We need to remeber that Coulter is only saying aloud what the rest of the "neo-conservative" movement thinks privately.

The American conservative movement must be forced to face its own identification with Coulter and the other wingnuts. The scarlet letter needs to be pinned to them and paraded in the streets to show how far they are from reasonable discourse.

I apologized for demonizing conservatism in the last post because it was subject to misinterpretation. I guess that just means I'm better than Coulter. But I already knew that.

I'm also better than George W. Bush, who is busy being "disappointed" over the Scooter Libby trial and possibly puzzling out what happens after a president is actually impeached.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home