Metroblog

But I digress ...

15 December 2006

It's Beginning to Sound a Lot Like Christmas


Honking in the streets, bitter complaints in the paper about rude clerks. And this little gem from a co-worker.

My office, like many others--too many--is sponsoring a "Christmas family" of (we assume) deserving poor people. They were encouraged to write down their Christmas wishes, and the older boy (shoe size 9, shirt size large, waist 29 ...) expressed a desire for an MP3 player.

Shoes were also on that list, and I wanted to donate specifically to that cause, it being an article of what little faith I have that most human conflict in the world is caused by economic inequality, followed by people being crabby from having to wear uncomfortable footwear.

However, there seems no mechanism by which I can assure that my donation will go towards a decent, strong, comfy pair of shoes for each kid (and the FSM knows I'm not going to pop for a pair by myself--not on my salary).

So I was looking at ideas for making a $20 donation go farther, and ran into a 512 Mb MP3 player, complete with speakers, at my local Canadian Tire. For $40. I pointed this out to one of the ladies at work, hoping she might suggest splitting the cost or inviting several others to pitch in.

"Oh," she said, peering at the flyer, "Only 512 meg? He won't be able to put many songs on that ..."

Perhaps I am the one missing the point? I feel that anyone who receives a free MP3 player and feels hard-done-by because it will only store 30 songs instead of 60 qualifies as a whingy bludger.

Mme Metro bought me, at considerable expense shortly after we met, a 256-Mb player/recorder. I still use it. It holds up to 20 songs or so.

12 Comments:

At 1:22 pm, Blogger Lori said...

See, now I feel I should say that had one with a higher MB count been available, I would have gotten it for you...

:-)

 
At 1:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metroboy!

You're becoming too sensitive.
Buy the kid a Cheech and Chong CD - preferably the Wedding Album - and be over it.

EK

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Geez 'Gene. I haven't had much time for CD's lately. Got any good ones? Bring 'em by and we'll tune in together.

How's your quest for employment coming anyhow?

 
At 5:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the concern, Metroman. You are too late, however, my friend, for I've decided to become a bum. Not only is work effin overrated, it's making me exhausted. So screw the man. I'm gettin' out the scrubs and panhandling. Gotta get me a doggie first, though, and then a doobie, brother.

Peace, love, dove...

EK

 
At 10:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rude clerk? Me? Never! -snicker-

Okay, I CAN be rude sometimes, but I don't see how I was being rude on the customer who went weird on me (I'm still trying to figure that one out), or being rude to the customer who got mad cause I stopped to mop up my blood.

Rude would have been bleeding all over her stuff, but I might actually do that next time anyway, Might be fun just to see what kind of reaction THAT would get. -smile-

Oh, and thank you for your comment, and I'm glad that you're enjoying my blog. I always think my life is so uninteresting, its funny to think that others might find a bit of interest in it.

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Sorry Yummy--it was meant in all irony. Didn't travel well. But thanks for stopping in, and I'll see you again sometime.

 
At 9:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps a Walkman tape player then?
You can buy them by the gallon at Goodwill and other such places. Just include rechargable AAs.
As for seasonal rudeness, someone left a note on my car calling me a F*#KING A#$%OLE!! for making it difficult for them to get out of their parking spot. Since I pride myself on my driving skills,I was quite surprised and checked to find that I was parked almost exactly center in my space. I suppose the only logical solution to this problem is to park as close to the doors as possible and occupy 2 parking spaces diagonally. That way I can be sure I won't make it difficult for someone else.

Cheers,
IH

 
At 12:14 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Yeah--as though the reaction of the average some-teen wouldn't be:

"Cool--what is it?"

Of course, a Walkman may have antique value these days ...

 
At 8:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. There was a comic strip a while back showing two kids opening their gifts. Looking bored, they'd rip open a present, say, "Yup, exactly what I wanted," then toss it aside and rip open the next one. It summed up everything that's wrong about Christmas and spoiled kids' expectations.

Any family that is poor enough to need to be sponsored at Christmas does NOT need an MP3 player, but clothing and shoes.

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger Metro said...

Oh I don't have a problem with the wish list--for one thing it was quite short. And MP3 players aren't high-ticket items anymore.

But I wish there had been a way to target my donation to shoes, specifically.

 
At 2:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about calling your local running store? The ones here collect used shoes all year round and donate them; they might be happy to dig out a pair of someone's Reebok trade-ins in the right size.

And then you could freelance a lovely and heartwarming story to the local paper. Thinkaboudit.

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger Metro said...

What I wanted to do was enable this family to choose good, sturdy shoes to fit their own feet.

Used shoes don't come in that category. Buying them new shoes would be just as bad.

Shoes are as personal as underwear--maybe more so. But I'm not sure if anyone's thought that out at work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home