Metroblog

But I digress ...

15 November 2006

While Researching Something Entirely Different


Sometimes I just type random search terms into Google to see what comes up. At one point I was trying to compile a list of two-word terms that produced no hits whatsoever. To give you an idea of how tough this is, try combining the word "peppermint" with any other. High-point hits included "peppermint rust", "peppermint shoes", and "peppermint paint". But even with quotation marks I got a hit for "enamel khan".

On the other hand the 'net has truly Monty Pythonesque moments. Such as if one were to go searching for "leisure suit" and wind up on a page about monkeys in Staffordshire.

And then there's the stuff that makes you realize that we have more leisure time than ever in the course of human history. Such as this page, "Candy Addict", entirely devoted to rating and quantifying candy.

How did I get here, you ask? Well I work for a workplace safety company, and I was doing research into worker deaths. So I was glad to stumble upon such a happy little nugget in the midst of all the crushings, severings, asphyxiatings, etc.

Update: Brian, the owner of Candy Addict dot com has pointed out that the page I linked to takes the reader to the middle of a top-ten list rather than the beginning. We of Metroblog thank him for the attention. Find the beginning of that list here. It's well worth a read, especially if you're a parent.

5 Comments:

At 9:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You linked into the middle of the top 10 list! That's not cool! You should link to the beginning:
http://candyaddict.com/blog/top-10-grossest-candies/

Brian (owner of Candy Addict)

 
At 10:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not even a please? That's not cool.

The post was about where he ended up from his surfing; if he ended up in the middle of the list, that's fair enough.

 
At 8:00 am, Blogger Metro said...

I'm all busted up about not being cool.

In my communications classes, I was taught to "always presume goodwill". So I'm assuming that your comment was meant to sound jovial, rather than high-handed, rude, and imperious.

As Raincoaster pointed out, though, a well-placed please would help to ensure congeniality.

I will add an update.

 
At 5:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - in re-reading it, it does sound mean. I left off the smiley face. I'm terribly sorry. There was a smile in my mind when I was typing it. I appreciate any/all links to the site - even ones that link into the middle of a top 10 list :)

Brian

 
At 6:53 am, Blogger Metro said...

No worries. That's why I destroyed your comment but left you standing.

I've left more than one comment where I've had to go back and post a second one to apologize.

Thanks for being gentlemanly about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home