Metroblog

But I digress ...

06 October 2006

Rush Weekend

Mme Metro and I will be spending the Thanksgiving long weekend in a mad dash into the United States.

This arose from a comment from Mme that while she opposes the current regime in power, she really doesn't know the US in a substantive way, and doesn't feel she knows Americans. I assured her that as soon as we cross the border we will not be surrounded by ill Gilchrist "minute men" brandishing rifles and asking if we brought any pot, cheap drugs or commie ideas with us. Note to self--clean commie ideas out of ashtray in the Metromobile. My cousins are US citizens, and pretty decent Joes overall, so I was able to say this with confidence.

For me it's a return to trucking--endless hours of hopefully-empty highway, glazed eyes and road buzz. But there's an enormous bookshop at the end, and it makes as good a destination as any. And I shall have She Who Must with me.

Besides, despite the sometimes-terrible (yet true) things I write here about the current government, I'm really quite fond of the US, and I want to see some of the states, and remind myself that in the end the average US citizen is usually someone I'd quite like to sit down for a beer with.

Here's to a safe and happy trip.

8 Comments:

At 3:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Metro, you're just saying that so you can make it past the border okay.

 
At 9:20 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Actually I wrote the bit about the ashtray to cover that issue.

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Lori said...

Anonymous, thank you! That made me laugh...

Mme Metro

 
At 1:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries as I've hacked into CSIS and downgraded you to simply a "person of interest".
Have a good trip. We are going to Jasper for the weekend.

IH

 
At 1:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For god's sake don't drink American beer!

 
At 8:11 am, Blogger Metro said...

You're joking, right? At just over a buck a can we're drinking Old Milwaukee here.

You can get a decent tin of kidney-killer, you just have to be careful about what you choose. And now that they've caught up to us on alcohol technology, they're of reasonable strength as well.

Sam Adams, for example, has won awards.

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger Metro said...

What do you care anyway? It's not like your taste buds are ever going to re-grow.

 
At 3:45 pm, Blogger The Nag said...

I'm an Avid Fan. Make mine a large.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home