Metroblog

But I digress ...

23 August 2006

Today I Notice

1)We have a new case of mad cow disease. Biiig whoop. The fact that we've caught 8 of them from a beef herd of however many millions suggests that the odds of getting a mad-cow steak approach those of winning the lottery. So I've decided that if I win the lottery I'm giving up beef.

I know, I know. You're saying "But Metro--that's just tempting fate!" Well I promise that I will devote part of my lottery winnings to the feeding and care of cows suffering from mad cow disease. That oughta satisfy Karma, eh? 'Specially since mcd can only be detected by postmortem.

Back during the second wave of mcd in the UK, my grandmother phoned my dad and explained that she'd given up beef, due to the risk of mad cow.

"Mum," he explained loudly (she was very deaf) "It takes twenty years to affect you. At 80-plus I don't think you have anything to worry about."

2) A Canadian soldier has accidentally shot a ten-year-old in Iraq. I suspect this was in order to show the IDF how it's done--accidentally.

Here's an interesting question. In Canada we have legal means to seek justice after someone kills somebody we care for. Lawsuits, disciplinary hearings and the like. What mechanism exists when your kid accidentally gets killed in a war zone?

The US military apparently has such a mechanism, but doesn't actually cover innocent bystanders per se. They compensate for accidental deaths caused by US soldiers, which seems to be a different thing from deaths occurring as a by-blow of combat operations. But there's no certainty as to numbers, and many families aren't sure how to apply for compensation.

So what was this? The boy apparently rode through a secured perimeter (one assumes it couldn't have been well-marked) as a passenger on his 17-year-old brother's motorbike. Soldiers claim the two ignored repeated warnings to stop.

I'm glad I didn't have to make the hot-button decision. Imagine being keyed up and watching that bike coming at you. In the event, it seems the soldier guessed wrong. I sympathise.

So what happens for the family now?

3) This "war against terror" thing--does anyone still think it's working out there? If so, here's a link from Terrorism News, a well-thought out and thorough sort of place where at the moment, Michael Schuer is holding forth, fifth, and sixth on the "progress" made against the idea of terrorism.

4) And a brief rant--dear gods do I hate fake websites. You know the sort I mean, the "search pages" that pop up in Google or what-have-you, but look from their summaries like real sites dedicated to whatever you're searching for. You have to look very carefully at the URL, and even then you may have trouble. Microsoft is currently suing some websquatters for trademark infringement and you know what? I'm actually with them for once. Unlike the ridiculous business of Mike Rowe, there's legitimate reason for a company which has a reputation (whatever that may be in your eyes) to take on people who pretend to be linked to the company.

Why I have this particular burr under my saddle: Today I went searching for parts resources for my Yamaha U7e, of the which I have blogged earlier There was bikezbiz, a garbage site, and a couple of those sites that say "find parts here" but mean "here you will find a million people trying to dig up the same bit's you're looking for and with no more sucess". And then a masterpiece of the genre cropped up. I read the landing page and thought it looked odd. No link on the picture saying "Browse our Catalogue", a field of text written in the oddly stilted way that lets you know it was a translation job (though that's par for the course with an ancient Japanese bike like mine), a few other details. But still it took me three page views to confirm what I suspected. Another @0))@^^|/| "search site". I wanted to link to it as a terrific, almost entertaining example.

But then I thought "screw 'em--why should I drive their traffic?" Go here instead: Swarm and Destroy!.

6 Comments:

At 4:57 pm, Blogger Raul said...

Thanks for the comment Raincoaster...

Best wishes!

 
At 9:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metro, you rock, last week I bought a 1972 Yam U7e, metallic 70's orange, 384 miles, and you are the second person on the entire earth I have heard of who owns one. I dug Honda Passports until I ran across the last insane idiot who thought theirs was worth like $2000. U.S. Yammies and 2 strokes are the stuff.
Bill, Pittsburgh, PA

 
At 1:32 am, Blogger Metro said...

Hi Bill E.

Glad to see you here. Hope you like it.

I got my U7e from a guy who'd been letting his kids ride it around their little acreage. It's definitely not cherry.

I bought a '69 with a seized engine for parts, then sold it when I realized most of the bits I wanted wouldn't fit my '73.

Since then I've corresponded with a guy in Provo, Utah, who needs a clutch and housing assembly, another guy up here in Canada who has one I'm considering for bits, and you.

I know of one in Halifax, and a cherry-looking one in Quebec somewhere.

The top price I've heard of anyone paying for a running unit is about $200.

From the sound of it you've got a really nice one. There was a near-cherry orange on advertised on E-Bay for a while just before I got mine. Is that the one you wound up with? Have you got pics?

 
At 1:36 am, Blogger Metro said...

Mme Metro says four of anything is a collection. I suppose four owners of U7's would count as a club.

Certainly we could all use some information-sharing.

How about it? Anyone interested? Bill E., Benjamin, Neel?

 
At 9:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would gladly share any info I come up with. Though mine is in good condition and almost doesn't need anything (but love), it is not quite what I would call cherry. The only pics I have so far are of it fitting into the back of my 4 wheeler, a Honda Element, so cool it slides right in like hand in glove. I feel a bit of a sucker and paid $650, but it's ready to roll, legshield and all...
I'm about to experiment with some touch-up paint, Chevy Sunburst Orange Metallic looks dang close, if anyone wants to know.
I was looking at the photos at the Moped Army and some of the small Yammies, QT50, etc. and some look really hopeful for small parts, cables and levers and such.
Maybe it's a U7e movement.

 
At 6:59 pm, Blogger Metro said...

Hi Bill:

I'm writing to Benjamin in Provo and to Neel in Vancouver to see if they want to start an informal sort of U7 club.

I've set up a gmail account for the interested. I invite you to write to Y4m4h4.U7e AT gmail DOT com.

The idea is to share resources and enable us to find bits more easily.

Once I have an e-mail from you I'll tell you how to log in.

Best,

Metro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home