Metroblog

But I digress ...

13 August 2006

Mme Metro has a Saying:

"Dont feed and water your bastards". Briefly, anti-social behaviour should not be encouraged by paying it a blind bit of notice.

What this attitude could do to the careers of Tom Cruise, Michael Jackson, Anne Coulter, and Rush Limbaugh unfortunately remains to be seen.

On the other hand, while cleaning the slurry out of the comments pile today, I found this:
Anonymous said...
Ahh...what would you do without other people's material Metro? Heaven forbid you have an original thought.

At least you admit when you're worng. I'm wrong most of the time. There...I said it.

Rainscoaster, no offense bro - but you annoy me.
You're correct anonymous--you're "worng" most of the time. At least if you're the same anonymouse I've seen in my comment section before.

Other people's material is my stock in trade--no, wait. That's Mizz Coulter. But it is an important feature of this blog. For example, I don't hesitate to use anonymous commentors who aren't willing to even assume an identity as fodder for a post.

C'mon, whaddaya think? If you post a comment as "Joe 7211" I'm gonna send the Terminator after you?

I, and the Metro persona, have a reputation, a small and fragile thing it's true. But people who come to this blog regularly assume certain things of this persona. One of them being that I will speak my part in this conversation honestly.

So when Metro screws up, he admits it, attaches his name, and posts it publicly. He also amends the original post.

"Anonymous" is exactly that. Nemo, no-one. No reputation, no fear of having to eat his words because he can always pretend to be someone else. Again.

Speaking of original posts. I'm reasonably sure that I do produce original work. And even the most derivative stuff I post here is 100% written by me. If I was to go around the 'net posting "anonymous" comments, then I'd be unoriginal: just like all the other 'nonymice. Wouldn't I?

Oh, and if it's important to you to say that bloggers annoy you, at least learn to spell their handles, eh?

For my part, it's important to mock anonymice.

7 Comments:

At 5:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And get their gender right. I mean, you can't turn my blog over and look at the naughty bits, but it's pretty clear whether I prefer to shop at Home Depot or Tiffany.

If you're gonna link to my blog every time someone who can't even afford their own identity criticizes me, Technorati will be my bitch in no time!

 
At 5:19 am, Blogger Metro said...

Weeeell, unlike some unprintables I could mention who just turn up and steal your previously stolen pictures from, oh say, The Onion, I believe in crediting my sources where possible.

{:-P

 
At 6:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do I. All hail Google Image Search.

 
At 6:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Tis, as I suspected, not from the Onion at all. There are stylistic differences that should be obvious...really, I'm disappointed in you.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~gseven/toons/minitoons.html

Do you believe in getting your attributions right?

 
At 7:57 am, Blogger Metro said...

What search terms did you enter? I went looking for something quite specific in order to get that pic, and I'm just interested in what combination of circs turned up that pic in such disparate posts.

 
At 11:02 am, Blogger Metro said...

And it is Home Depot, right? Or are you still getting those flannel shirts at Mark's Work Wearhouse?

 
At 6:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's on the first page when you type "Cauldron".

And you have yet to set the record straight about your "Onion" gaffe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home