Metroblog

But I digress ...

11 August 2006

It's Not Miller Time!

Or at least not the Miller I thought it was.

A few days back I posted a rant & riposte here on Metroblog. Ahmad thought it was good enough to link to (thanks, Ahmad), and the ol' hit counter started ticking over pretty fast.

But, (and as Orson Welles used to say, it's a big butt!) I made one major error. The piece I quoted wasn't written by Dennis Miller, but by one Larry Miller. I discovered this only when I was cruising over at the invaluable Snopes Urban Myth Reference Pages. This is my failure to do due diligence. I can only say that the person who forwarded this piece to me is such a trusted source that I never thought to question the claim of authorship.

I still think Miller, D. is a right-wing blowhard. But I was wrong in my attribution of this remarkably vile piece to him. I'm not alone. In fact, Larry Miller's pieces have been linked to Dennis Miller at least twice!

So to Dennis: Until you do a piece this bad (though I have little doubt it'll come), my apologies.

And my apologies to the record number of Avid Fans who came over from Cold Desert and from Lebanon Hearts.

However, let's be clear on this: Admitting I was wrong as to the source doesn't mean I suddenly agree with the content. Miller, L. is still a gold-plated (yet disturbingly, uncomfortably small) prick, and his opinions weren't worthy of the time I wasted refuting them.

Again, I apologise for misleading all you Avid Fans out there. The right-wing unprintable who wrote this screed was a less-famous Miller than I originally believed.

I was wrong, and I admit it.

(Let's see anyone in the White House do that!)

4 Comments:

At 2:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all due respect, you can't count on Snopes. They've been wrong twice in the past two months in my own experience. Go for the primary source.

Although there is no shortage of silly Americans, it is true.

 
At 1:01 pm, Blogger lifeflaw said...

Metro, well I suggest you just add a correction note to your original post!

 
At 3:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...what would you do without other people's material Metro? Heaven forbid you have an original thought.

At least you admit when you're worng. I'm wrong most of the time. There...I said it.

Rainscoaster, no offense bro - but you annoy me.

 
At 2:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem, nony. I don't take offence from silly people who can't spell or punctuate and don't do their research.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home