Metroblog

But I digress ...

24 July 2006

From My Comment Section

Anonymous said...
There are always two (sometimes three or four) sides to every story...NOW BACK TO YOUR regualry scheduled Canadian liberal way of thinking.

LARNACA, Cyprus — The U.N. humanitarian chief accused Hezbollah on Monday of "cowardly blending" among Lebanese civilians and causing the deaths of hundreds during two weeks of cross-border violence with Israel.

4:12 PM


Well Anonymous--you don't mind if I call you Anonymous, do you (since you haven't chosen to give me a clue as to your identity, for some reason)? I have only one issue with anything you've said:

Exactly how does that justify the deliberate targeting of civillians? How is that okay? It wasn't okay when the Twin Towers went down, it wasn't okay when the London and Madrid and Mumbai bombings took place, so how is it so now?

Yeah, Hizbullah is cowardly. I'm sure strafing old ladies and children from a lend-lease F-18 must make the IDF pilots feel like real heroes.

By the way--you say I have a "Canadian" and "liberal" way of thinking. The two aren't the same and I suggest you remember that.

I champion fiscal responsibility, a strong foreign policy, and a limited role and powers for government in private life. Those, amigo, are usually touted as conservative values. Except by the current chief executive--who is the most interfering, spendthrift incompetent ever to disgrace the oval office. Clinton's stains went out with his blotter. The stains of ***'s presidency (or Cheney's, whichever) will take decades to wash away.

The fact that I also support gay marriage, decriminalized marijuana, socialized medicine and negotiation over pointless warfare stems from those "conservative" values.

I am a person of nuance and of grace notes, too complex to label with "liberal" or "conservative". And unlike *** I'm not dumb enough to believe that my beliefs are always 100% right.

But in this Israel vs. Lebanon thing, I can tell quite easily what's right. 375 dead, the vast majority civillians?

That ain't right.

2 Comments:

At 7:00 am, Blogger Lori said...

How come I don't end up fighting with my commentors? :-)

Nicely measured response though...

 
At 8:39 am, Blogger Metro said...

I'm not fighting anyone. Just making my point in a message too long for a comment.

The brownian motion of ideas bouncing off of each other is what keeps human society moving forward.

(Which is not to say that some ideas shouldn't be scorned and mocked to oblivion. White supremacy springs to mind.)

I hope people who have ideas different from mine will post here. K.M. and the regrettably-named Anonymous force me to reconsider my positions and defend them. Maybe even change them.

And I hope they sometimes get a glimpse of my point of view, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home