Metroblog

But I digress ...

06 March 2006

I haven't been around much, I know


You'll have to forgive me. It's not that I don't want to post, it's only that I am at the moment extremely busy living life to the fullest.

Foremost among my current projects is my upcoming marriage to the SO. It takes place at a local park on Saturday, and represents the completion of my second-longest project to date, although in all honesty I should point out that the SO has done most of the work. I just sit back, sign cheques, and watch the magic happen.

The longest is my job search. As my Avid Fan knows, I have been looking for writing work lo these many moons--just slightly less long than this blog has been around. Last week I drove roughly eight hundred kilometres to interview for a Proofreader/Editor position.

I love the look of the job, the location, the other workers--everything in fact except the timing. They needed someone last month. Due to project #1 above and the ensuing honeymoon, I can't be there until April (mid). I find out today whether I need to relocate. I hope I do. Penticton is a lovely town of only thirty-six thousand or so. And despite the Indian name for the place ("A place to live year-round"--translated by the Chamber of Commerce as "a place to stay forever") they get real, cold, snowy winters too, not this "will-it/won't-it" rain thing we're having (all the more nerve-wracking if you're planning an outdoor wedding, as the SO is).

In between these two projects, I am trying to find time to finish getting the engine back into the Nash Metropolitan for which this page is named. Yesterday I finally bolted it in with minimal loss of life (some skin cells on my knuckles made the ultimate sacrifice, as did a couple of threaded inserts in the bellhousing). I hope to have it running within the next three days.

But I also need to finish editing the world's worst-written book. A boring, pseudo-scientific treatise on the study of reincarnation. It may have lost something in the translation, but I doubt it. It's poorly organized, and tends to drive the reader mad by, in the best tradition of truly scientific writing, acheiving "detachment" by stamping out any trace of excitement in the content. I have 130 pages to finish reading and correcting extensively. By Thursday night.

So you'll forgive me if I don't blog. Or is it too late to say that?

3 Comments:

At 8:30 am, Blogger Lori said...

Only one spelling error at 5:30 a.m., from a blogger who wants to be a proofreader...not bad.

Fingers crossed on the job....

 
At 2:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that the Nash was was your longest running project.
Okay, maybe it can be considered a chronic illness with no known cure or treatment.
See ya Friday!
IH

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger JD Hobbes said...

(This is Dave from Mtl)
Send me your CV. I can't guarantee anything, but I never know when I need a new writer for a new project.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home