Metroblog

But I digress ...

19 October 2005

I'm Gonna Regret This Tomorrow


I was wheezing a bit tonight, so sat up waiting for the Advair to kick in. And I had one of those ideas that make you go "duh". Why not use this internet thing for a meaningful purpose?

For much of my adult life . . . well, no, not really: for a tiny fraction of my adult life I have spent time trying to ask people if they remember Sam the robot. He was a character on Sesame Street. I personally remember him best for his appearance in a book. Susan had lost a heel off of her shoe and he was supposed to help her with it. She was instructed to place the defunct footwear in his belly hatch, whereupon it was returned to her with the heel firmly affixed right in the middle of the shoe.

There followed an explanation of the terms "same" and "different". Sam then asked for both shoes to be inserted in order for him to correct his mistake. Naturally, the shoes were returned with BOTH heels mid-mounted--but exactly the same.

Anyway, for some time I've asked the odd adult if they remember him. Not one person has. Not a single one to whom I've mentioned the character. I was in fact ready to believe that he had appeared perhaps on some other show: "Let's Go" or "The Electric Company" perhaps.

But tonight, after searching for two hours, I bask in a warm glow. He existsed, and there is a picture of him on the web--don't laugh, I think it's the only one.

My sense of vindication will hopefully power me through tomorrow at work, for which I must arise in a little over four hours. But I'm going to bed happy, and what more can a human ask at the end of the day?

Or in my case, at the beginning.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do remember Sam. However, without the benefit of the pic I probably wouldn't know who you were talking about. I can remember seeing him when my sisters watched the show.
IH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home