Metroblog

But I digress ...

29 August 2005

It's Clobberin' Time!



Certainly it is down in the Big Easy. If I were a prayin' sort of man, I might pray for the people who are stuck in hurricane Katrina. As I'm not, I'll just say "Good luck".

So what's been happening in the big ol' world anyway?

In trade news, it's been a week of back-and-forthing, with the US Embarrasement to Canada telling us we're wrong. David Wilkins, who learned everything he knows about Canada-US trade during a visit to a Niagara Falls souvenir stand, called upon Canada to stop giving out "emotional tirades" and negotiate a settlement.

We already have a negotiated settlement, Mr. Embarrassador. It's NAFTA; and under the terms of that agreement you owe us a mounting pile o' bucks.

Sorry--that was an emotional tirade.

If you get the feeling that I dislike the man the POTUS has sent to represent him, you may be right. I'd support trade sanctions if I thought they were likely to do any good. As it is, I think it'd just raise the price of orange juice toward that of gasoline.

More News:

Karla Homolka was hired by a man who just had to "out" her to the press for the good of his soul (it's that shrivelled thing that looks like a very old fig, next to the lump of cheese that needs a shave, in his fridge). No doubt his motives were pure.

Pat Robertson's death threats. Ignore. He's a rather sad man, really. Albeit a sad man with an audience said to be in the millions.

Hugo Chavez: Muzzles press, cosies up to despots while calling kettles black. Wasting grandkids' money and condemning millions to uneccesary risks. See also: George W. Bush.

Extremely local news:
The SO and I are seriously involved now. We've moved our personal files into the same cabinet. Not the same file folders, though. We're waiting until after we're married for that.

We have also shredded three bin-liners' worth of old tax forms (please o please do not audit me now!), assorted memorabilia (which I'd forgotten the reason for keeping), and the usual accumulation of detritus of adult life.

She Who Must and I are slowly planning a wedding. However, since we both have retired parents, it's not proving easy. We think we might just send her mum tickets to wherever my folks are going to be, then turn up ourselves.

Since my parents are off to Oz for February, that might be a great idea.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 pm, Blogger Lori said...

Not sure I want to combine our wedding with a honeymoon, with the parental units...

Let me get back to you on that one!

 
At 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I can't comment on Lori's blog so could you tell her I really like her photos page. Looks like you took a pic of a Cushman scooter or something similar. Cool!
Does that make me such a guy too?
Anyway, see you friday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home