Metroblog

But I digress ...

15 August 2005

Ex-Girlfriend?


After some two-plus years, the SO is no longer my girlfriend. This was precipitated by a crisis primarily grammatical in nature and has resolved itself thus:

The relationship has been paddling along quite satisfactorily except for one small bobble, terminology. Someone noted earlier on this blog that the terms I've employed in this blog are occasionally awkward. But we were neither fish nor fowl. I'm something of a traditionalist who never ever thought I'd be moving in with someone I wasn't married to. She has a much more freewheeling approach and was willing to cohabitate 'till death do us part, or whatever. . .

But it becomes difficult to fix a term in your mind. We've tried "partner"--which often leads to misunderstandings of one kind or another. "Girl/Boyfriend" sounds sophomoric once you're past twenty-five or so. "Significant Other"? Well as far as I'm concerned there's only one place for language like that.

So on Sunday night I asked her a question, and her response made it clear that she is now no longer my girlfriend.

I believe the correct term is "fiancée".

2 Comments:

At 3:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, its about bloody time!
Congratulations!!!!!!!
Love from both of us.
I & L

 
At 9:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Just staggered in here off the super highway for a take 2 and saw your announz. Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home