Metroblog

But I digress ...

08 July 2005

Nothing to Say Here


The recent bombing of London? No point in me commenting. I have family in that city and as far as I know, they're okay.

Do I think terrorism will strike in Canada? Absolutely yes. It is inevitable that an open society that wishes to remain so will have vulnerabilities (i.e. public transit). Terrorists will take advantage.

The alternative is to turn ourselves into an armed camp, or become belligerent, or become a police state; in other words, to give in to the fear terrorists seek to create.

But the terrorists will lose. No matter how many people they kill, there will always be a massive majority who favour living outside radicalism. In uncertain times, people cling to the certainties that can be had in dogma, hatred, and xenophobia.

But most of us are better than that, I think.

Today I heard an old, frightened woman say:
"I don't care if they hang 'em up by their thumbs--just so long as this doesn't come here."

Get your mind right honey--it's coming. Canada is on the list. And we'll be lucky if it isn't nuclear. So shake your neighbour's hand and get to know them. Acceptance will be a needed strength.

The prospect of my own death bemuses and frightens me. But I, I will ride the buses and subways. I will stand on the bridges and walk under the tall buildings. And one day when the last terror group lays down its arms and engages in an active dialogue then your descendants and mine will know that we are right.

Western Civilization must preserve that word "civilization".

Bravo London--you're showing us how it's done.

That said, I hope the police get their suspects soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home