Metroblog

But I digress ...

08 July 2005

Anyone Up For The Really Really Late Show?


It's past three A.M. and I can't sleep.

Since moving in with the SO I have become prey to the odd attack of wheezing. I have attributed this to several factors: the presence of cats, humidity, the smoking finally catching up to me, and the possibility that since we live in a "damp" (though not technically "wet") condo there may be something growing in the walls and shooting spores into my lungs (there to incubate until it bursts forth, see Alien).

More likely, it's some combination of the four, although the smoking doesn't seem to have any consistent impact by itself. Take this week for example: From last Monday to Thursday night I've had no smokes, but have had to take a hit off my inhaler every night. Tonight I had four or five, and awoke wheezing at two.

Still, no point in aggravating things. I've got to knock off the "sociables".

But the worst of tonight is the nose and throat. Stuffed and sore, respectively. In fact, my nose is causing such plumbing problems that I can't sleep. Hence the blog. {Later:I still can't sleep. But my nose is so aggravating I think I'll try for an all-night pharmacy. Wish me luck.}

My dad is into his sixties, and still very active. He is involved with a similarly-aged group of retirees who go hiking every so often. Last weekend he took me for a hike, six hours in duration with a 1500-foot gain. It felt really good--I haven't had a decent day-hike in ages.

Yesterday he went to the same mountain with his group, and his friend Larry, a retired dentist, keeled over and died of a heart attack.

I spoke with Mum first. She told me that Dad and another man, Mike, had worked on Larry, administering CPR for "a couple of hours". I didn't even know Dad knew CPR, and a couple of hours administering it would damn near kill even a seasoned professional. Once again I admire my father's quiet persistance.

They had a cellular phone, and someone phoned for medical assistance. But the medics apparently didn't have a helicopter (or knew more about Larry's condition than his hiking partners did) and took over an hour and a half to arrive.

Still, as one of the group observed: If Larry had had to choose a spot to die in, he likely would have picked the top of that particular mountain. Godspeed Larry, wherever you may be.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 am, Blogger Tabor said...

Based on my experience with moving and moving into places with mold, cats, etc. If you lungs feel burny or irritated it is probabaly and allergy--in my case cats. If you have a scratchy throat and stuff nose it might be a virus. If it is an allergy, do not ignore it. It will get worse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home