Metroblog

But I digress ...

25 March 2005

While You're Here


It is coming!

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor!

As with the Hitchiker's Guide movie, I'm in something of a state of trepidation. The new series has a slickness the old one didn't. The Doctor has somehow gained a London accent, and he's younger than ever. Natural enough, for a Time Lord, I suppose.

But it's Virgin TV, and according to reports, the first thing Virgin did with the series when they bought the rights was sex it up--literally. The old series had very little in terms of romantic entanglements, and the Doctor was always sort of above that sort of thing.

I just worry that what happened to "The Office"--and indeed any Brit-com that made the crossing (Such as any of the reality shows . . . What? You didn't know they were comedies. No--waitaminit--you took that stuff seriously?)will happen to HHG and DW both. Hey! Marvin's voice is Alan Rickman! And John Malkovich is the (new for the movie) villian! I feel better already.

But the audience is new, so the mores have to change. I'm okay with that. If I hate it, no-one says I have to watch.

And they kept the Daleks--It can't be all bad.

Everything old is new again, and there are new old things under the sun.

I know where I'm gonna be on April 5th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home