Metroblog

But I digress ...

23 February 2005

Commenting on Comments


I notice that someone feels a)nauseous and b)that the terms "SO" and "technically married" may be inappropriate.

For the first, my suggestion is Gravol. As to the second:

"The SO" is my term for the person who (for god knows what reason) puts up with me, and loves me (I think), and whom I love in return (as above). I originally chose this reference as a way of avoiding names in this blog (and ducking the embarassing fact that the SO's name occasionally slips my mind). At that time I began referring to this person as my "significant other". That site, by the way, cropped up through a search for "the other"--I wonder why someone so obviously into animal rights would create a collage of the especially delicious ones?

"Technically married". Um, well; that's what we are. We have said no vows, had no ceremony. But we've been living together for long past the statutory period at which a couple may be considered common-law partners. I plan to waltz through life with the SO, and to one day (hopefully at least another eighty years or so in the future) be found dead on my side of the bed on a pleasant sunny morning.

So "technically" we're hitched.

But perhaps my complainant is correct. Maybe it's time for a new & cool nickname for the SO--something with snazz & pizzazz. I assume that "the ol' ball & chain" won't do, then?


  • Plus ca change . . . The caption translates as "Repeat after me: The security of the US is threatened in Central America". Don't I recall hearing something of the sort about some other place?
  • 4 Comments:

    At 10:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Personally, I enjoy my somewhat vague anonymity here at Metroblog. 'Vague' as most of your readers know who I am (family, friends...). Please, no cheesy nicknames!

    the SO

     
    At 10:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    personally i think you have it backwards - you and SO are married in every other way but technically.

    but whatever.

     
    At 5:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What about:

    better half, old lady

    or the ultimate PC term: my life partner or LP for short.

    Personally, I think SO's fine.

    Norlinda

     
    At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Metroboy

    It looks like Linda Blair had a "moment" on your blog.

    I think sweetcheeks, honeypie or poopsie are safe, time-tested names to call your SO.

    EK

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home