Metroblog

But I digress ...

01 January 2005

Happy New Year


A difficult and tumultuous year behind us, and ahead of us what?

There's nothing I can write about the tsunami that hasn't been said already.

I resolved to try and make my last act of 2004 a worthy-ish one, so I donated one day's pre-tax pay to the Canadian Red Cross. Not specifically for the tsunami relief, but "where the need is greatest". Which seems to be the same thing.

One day's worth of my pay, a small drop in my personal bucket and an even smaller one against the scope of this disaster.

The Canadian government said it would match up to $25 mil in private donations, plus $14 M for specific work. Since then, companies and private donors have exceeded that figure by some $7 million. And the feds, for once in my life, came through and matched the higher figure.

And it's still not enough.

Still trying to decide what I want out of this new year. How about you? Any ideas?

1 Comments:

At 4:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya, Metroboy. I donated as well. I hope my "drop in the bucket" is of some help, somehow. I think everybody with a spare twenty, fifty or hundred should part with it and not think twice.

But now I hear there's too much money in the coffers. Whoever came up with that notion should be drawn and quartered, then made to listen to Mariah Carey records till the end times. How can there ever be too much money for a horrendous situation like that? Will the people of Southeast Asia not need buckets of cash for years to come? It's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard, other than that Simpson skank "singing" at the Orange Bowl. I can hardly wait for the Superbowl halftime show to see what the good 'ol US will offer up as talent. I think they should just have half an hour of silence. Either that or back to back to back beer commercials.

Happy New Year, Metroboy

EK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home