Metroblog

But I digress ...

20 June 2004

This Oughta Be A Short Post



There is neither a Marijuana Party candidate nor a Bloc Quebecois one in my riding. I know that there's an MP MP-hopeful nearby. BQ, I doubt.

Briefly, the federal MP in Canada has as its platform a single issue. Everything else is viewed from that particular POV.

The platform:

1) Legalise cannabis

2) Legalise cannabis

3) Fix the parliamentary "representation defecit".
Here they might have a point--many MP's skip parliament sessions altogether; doing lunch with lobbyists, counting their pension benefits, trying to weasel their way to a senate appointment or a governor-generalship.

If half the members skip out, 25% just space on the date, and the rest nod off or go out for brownies, people might be allowed to do all manner of things unimpeded. This might be a good thing.

Have a look at this!

4)Defend the victims of marijuana persecution.
This is not the sound of a governing party. A governing party would have already achieved objectives 1 & 2. Then after a general amnesty for soldiers of the "war on drugs" they'd have no-one to defend. Or do they mean people persecuted for NOT smoking marijuana?

5) "Pressure" the rest of the world into legalising pot.
Yeah. Canada. "Pressure". An oxymoron if ever I heard one. Sort of like "comapssionate conservatism".

I once read that the fundamental difference between an American (a US dweller) and a Canadian (a North American dwelling in Canada) is that if you kick him in the shins, the American will produce a gun from somewhere about his person and blow your head off. Under the same assault the Canadian will move off the side and wait for your leg to fall off.



6) Offering immediate access to medical pot.
We've pretty much already got access to all the pot we can handle--certainly enough to make me fall off my ass whenever I have the sniffles.

So I can't say they aren't topical. I just wouldn't pick 'em myself.

G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home