Metroblog

But I digress ...

18 March 2004

Today I am experimenting.

Specifically, I'm trying to get the comment function to work the way it does for thirtysomehting's blog postings.

I'm also cringing slightly about the last couple of posts.

Let me be very clear on this. I'm not really adverse to PETA's stated goal. I just don't think that what they say they're after is what they actually want.

And I deplore their tactics--playing on the fears of people who don't have a currently operating critical thinking mechanism in order to acheive their purile aims. . .Strange that they have so much in common with the Bush Jr administration.

Still. I shouldn't have let them get under my skin enough to get me spewing. They too shall pass, and in thirty years no-one'll know what they were or what they wanted, and hopefully I'll still be eating rare steaks with my own teeth. Pamela Anderson will still have mountainous breasts, though: Silicone is forever.

Today, it's all about teeth. People all over the world agree that teeth are a good thing. With the possible exception of hillbillies.

People want good teeth, healthy teeth. Heck, some folks think even laws need better teeth.

I tend to agree with that last article. Here's another interesting one.

It's interesting that people who campaign for stronger laws with bigger teeth, or laws against things, never ever have the restriction of their own "God-given freedoms" in mind.

--Apart from the whole business of being allowed to carry hidden on your person a device invented solely for killing other humans, I also tend to agree with that last writer.

I have yet to find anywhere a case where a person went before a judge and said: "Judge, I'm terribly tempted to do something that I feel is wrong. Please make a law so that I'll be dissuaded. And give it some teeth!"

Lately there's been talk of a constitutional amendment to "defend marriage". It's a complete load of $#!Ψ. It's just another attack on the American Constitution by those charged with defending it; the suspension of the rights of yet another group of citizens. Too bad--it used to be a nice document. Had all the right words and everything.

If any part of the big C needs suspending or radical retooling, I think it's the Second Amendment--But that's sacrosanct.

"If," says my reader "you're attempting to be free and fair on this blog, why do you seem so down on the Bush administration and the pro-gun lobby?"

It's because I have yet to see convincing argument that proves that GWB isn't in fact an ingrained racist, corporate-minded, overpriveleged frat boy. Nor an argument that proves beyond doubt that private handgun ownership is a good thing.

I welcome your comments. If you just came to flame, feel free to do that too. I am in full support of reasoned free expression and will give your post the attention it deserves.

Hmmm. Can't get the comments to work here--you'll just have to do it the old fashioned way until I get 'round to fixing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home