Metroblog

But I digress ...

04 March 2004

Like a Bump on a Blog

By the way--I have noticed that many of the blog links at right aren't being updated. The project we were all participating in ended, and it seems as though thirtysomething and myself are the only people geeky enough to keep up with it. By the way, if you took the trouble to read this, go have a look at thirtysomething's blog. It's cogent, well-written, and a good and pleasurable read.

Some of the feedback I've been getting:

1) Spelling mistakes. Yeah, I know. They repulse me. I'm implementing a solution very soon, though. I premise.

2) I got a lot of feedback about the comment that "the gay marriage issue is revolting". It is.

Since the only valid reason for rejecting gay marriage is a function of religiosity, and since religion isn't supposed to be a factor in legislating human rights, why is there all this discussion going on?

3) There have been one or two comments about my possible sexual orientation, apparently from folks who haven't read my blog thoroughly.

But it doesn't matter if I'm a straight white male or a transsexual black woman who identifies as a lesbian. In the infinity of cyberspace, the tiny noises I make are as valid as anyone else's. Possibly more so, in fact, because I actually try to apply reason even-handedly.

4) Other folks have suggested more radical ideas about either my orientation or my opinions, such as where I can put them and what kind of parents I must have had. Unlike these people, I try very hard not to allow my personal prejudices get in the way of my ideas, not to let my feelings overrule my thoughts, and never let a good story get in the way of the facts (except when said story is labelled as such).

If your version of the facts differs from mine, feel free to bring it to my attention. But beware: personal prejudices masquerading as facts will be cruelly mocked, urban myths presented as truths will be debunked, and flames will be ignored. Actually, exceptionally good flames may be published at this space, but don't hold your breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home